No announcement yet.

AMD Releases R600/700 3D Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, what do the workstation guys think about OpenCL? Is this something they care about or are they pursuing proprietary solutions?

Comment

I haven't discussed this with them directly but I know that integration of compute and graphics is a big deal for workstation, and that we believe that cross-vendor APIs are the way to go.
      Test signature

Comment

Fair enough. I need to spend more time with Khronos.

Comment

Appendix 'B' is the interesting part.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Power management for 6xx/7xx is next on the list, then we're going to see if we can do something to help with video decode acceleration.
            is there any date (approximately) that we can expect the docs?

Comment

Not really, we're basically starting one task when we finish the one before, ie the plan is really a sequence not a schedule. If you can live with guesses I would say somewhere between 1 and 3 months for the first 6xx/7xx power management info.

We have already released enough info to do a fair amount of video decode work on all GPUs up to and including the HD4xxx parts; that's really just waiting for a dev with the time, interest and experience to start designing and coding.

Note that current power management work on 5xx is primarily being done in the usermode X driver; while that does offer some benefits, I don't think we are really going to see comparable power savings to fglrx until the open source power management work moves to the kernel. I don't know any devs who are thinking about that right now.
              Test signature

Comment

It seems that MostAwesomeDude has pushed a R300 Gallium3D driver to the gallium-0.2 branch of mesa/mesa. Any information on that?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  It seems that MostAwesomeDude has pushed a R300 Gallium3D driver to the gallium-0.2 branch of mesa/mesa. Any information on that?
                  i dont think this is the right thread for this topic

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    Sure. We agreed on #dri-devel (on IRC) that as long as I wasn't breaking builds, that I could (and should) just keep working on gallium-0.2 instead of in a private repo.

Same warnings as nouveau apply: Developers only, don't file bugs, don't cry when it eats your babies and kills your cat, and don't install it over your system Mesa.

~ C.

Comment

It's the one he's been working on for a few weeks -- Michael posted a quick article around the time the first successful build happened. AFAIK it just does "clear the screen" right now but that still needs a good chunk of the code to be present and working. MostAwesomeDude is working on RV410, I think, but another dev (zhasha) has been making changes for 5xx in parallel.

IMO this is pretty neat, 'cause in parallel we're working on the code required for 6xx/7xx 3D in classic Mesa and hopefully we'll finish that and have it in public around the same time MostAwesomeDude's 3xx-5xx code is running.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 07 February 2009, 08:58 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X