No announcement yet.

TEARING - dreaming of tearfree on lvds with Intel gma950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, see the bug report I mentioned previously.

Comment

Interesting. Here's what I've found with my system:

UXA+XV - Tears...
      UXA+GL - Tears...
      EXA+XV - Tears...
      EXA+GL - WORKS!!!

I thought DRI2 was supposed to fix this. Instead, it seems that EXA and GL are the only way to get things to stop tearing.

Comment

DRI2 fixes flicker, not tearing. Actually DRI2 + GEM/TTM allows RDR, and RDR fixes flicker. Whatever.

Here's what I think is going on (10,000 foot view) :

- Xv on Intel used to tear, GL on Intel did not tear
        - in the process of implementing GEM, sync-to-vblank was temporarily disabled
        - GL uses sync-to-vblank to avoid tearing
        - UXA is EXA over GEM

so...

EXA+GL always worked, but UXA needs GEM, which in turn seems to "break" GL from a tearing point of view (GL is actually fine, it's the DRM that can't sync to vblank)

This is all based on vague recollections of discussion in IRC that I wasn't really paying attention to, but I *think* it's right. Hopefully someone more familiar with the Intel code will jump in here.
        Test signature

Comment

If that's the case, I'm going to try enabling RDR to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Wait, don't you mean RandR?

EDIT: Still tears with RandR enabled.
          Last edited by wswartzendruber; 03 February 2009, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
            If that's the case, I'm going to try enabling RDR to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Wait, don't you mean RandR?

EDIT: Still tears with RandR enabled.
            RDR is "Redirected Direct Rendering". I don't think it's something you can enable/disable, but I'm not really sure.

Comment

Yep, Redirected Direct Rendering. It lets a direct-rendered client (typically 3D, but could be something else) get along with a compositor like Compiz. Without RDR, the compostor and the direct rendered (DRI) app both draw to the same area of the screen, which is why you get flicker.

http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2007/0...rendering.html

http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2008/0...dri2-work.html

Again, that fixes flicker under Compiz, not tearing. Peversely enough, though, I believe it was the addition of memory management (required by RDR) which resulted in the temporary lost of sync-to-vblank support and the re-introduction of tearing. Some days life just sucks
              Last edited by bridgman; 04 February 2009, 12:09 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

I just subscribed to the intel-gfx mailing list, so I'll be sure to let everyone here know what they say.

Comment

Working...
                X