Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to rotate with newest (8.50.3) fglrx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rotate with newest (8.50.3) fglrx?

In Windows i use two Samsung 204b Monitors in rotation-mode.
    The 204b has a usefull swiftoption, but the fglrx does not recognize that my display can rotate! There is no configuration option in CCC-Linux edition. And the systemsettings-kde4 also provides no option to rotate the displays.

Yesterday i had used a friends Nvidia-card, which suprise suprise works with rotation!! How can i persuade the fglrx to rotate my displays??

On my KDE4.1 ia have turned on the build in (kwin-kde4) composite-option.
    While watching video or surfing with google earth i got a lot of... well flickering i think.
    whith the nivida card i had no problems, so i think that could be ati specific.
    Is there any workaround for this?
    bridgman..?

And very last. I use an x1900xtx; when i open the ccc the frequences both of mem and gpu seems to be at x1900 standard. While using the desktop, this is no problem, but what i am interested in is , if, while i am playing eg Nexuiz, the frequencies are low , too...

thx in advance
    H.i.M

PS: I have read in my dmesg this line:
    [ 43.640334] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.

Do i guess right assuming that the driver is developed in Germany (Starnberg) near munch?
    Are you german bridgeman?
    would be cool

I live in a german city which houses the complement to the "silicon valley".
    the "saxony valley"...

I'm half German and half Irish by descent, but I was born in Canada and live near Toronto. Probably doesn't count

The fglrx driver was written by the original FireGL software team in Starnberg (before ATI purchased FireGL) and was ported to Radeon GPUs by the same team using a modified version of the ATI Catalyst OpenGL driver. Over time we replaced the entire 3d stack and some of the DDX driver with common code from the latest Catalyst drivers (that's where the big 3d performance jump happened) and now the Linux team is starting to work on the last remaining parts of the original fglrx. Some of the Starnberg software folks are working on FireGL today but all on the 3D side AFAIK.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09 August 2008, 06:54 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

@bridgeman:
      Da du ja "half German and half Irish" bist, kann ich diese Worte doch sicherlich in deutsch an dich richten. Schreibe ich in english, so habe ich immer den Zweifel, das das was ich eigentlich sagen wollte durch falsche Wortwahl (?bersetzung) verf?lscht bei meinem Gegen?ber ankommt.

In erster Linie danke ich dir ganz herzlich f?r deine offene Art.
      Nach dem ich meinen Post geschrieben hatte, habe ich lange dar?ber nachgedacht, ob es vlt. falsch war dich so direkt und offen zu fragen. Danke, dass du mich eines besseren belehrt hast! Noch eine letzte Frage: Kann man einen "developer" des ATI-Treibers eigentlich auch pers?nlich kennenlernen? Besser etwas n?her als "Toronto" so Dresden vlt...?

-------------------

But now back to my originally questions:

Altough your interesting lesson in ATI history, my real problem (1!) isnt solved yet!

After reading across country throug the ATI/AMD threads i know, that problem 2 is an "insolvable" issue.. which probably could be fixt in the next "big bang driver".

My third (3) question, is the easiest one. Any tips?

H.i.M

Comment

Originally posted by H.i.M View Post
        @bridgeman:
        Da du ja "half German and half Irish" bist, kann ich diese Worte doch sicherlich in deutsch an dich richten. Schreibe ich in english, so habe ich immer den Zweifel, das das was ich eigentlich sagen wollte durch falsche Wortwahl (?bersetzung) verf?lscht bei meinem Gegen?ber ankommt.

In erster Linie danke ich dir ganz herzlich f?r deine offene Art.
        Nach dem ich meinen Post geschrieben hatte, habe ich lange dar?ber nachgedacht, ob es vlt. falsch war dich so direkt und offen zu fragen. Danke, dass du mich eines besseren belehrt hast! Noch eine letzte Frage: Kann man einen "developer" des ATI-Treibers eigentlich auch pers?nlich kennenlernen? Besser etwas n?her als "Toronto" so Dresden vlt...?
        Since he says he was born in Canada I wouldn't expect him to speek german. And even if he does I'd say most people consider it bad manner to speak in your native language in an international forum, as most wont understand what's going on.
        In Windows i use two Samsung 204b Monitors in rotation-mode.
        The 204b has a usefull swiftoption, but the fglrx does not recognize that my display can rotate! There is no configuration option in CCC-Linux edition. And the systemsettings-kde4 also provides no option to rotate the displays.
        Try 'xrandr --output DVI-0 --rotate right' (of course replace "DVI-0" with the desired output (have a look at 'xrandr -q') and "right" with the desired rotation). This does the for me, but I'm using radeon atm so I can't guarantee it will work with fglrx. I'm not sure how to get it to rotate automatically though.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm half German and half Irish by descent, but I was born in Canada and live near Toronto. Probably doesn't count
          Your in Markham at ATI HO I assume.

Comment

@Zhick
            of course your right!
            Please excuse this short part of my post.
            It wasn't intended for public. I was interested, if bridgeman is able to speak german
            Maybe you have noticed the "@bridgeman"

In short: the" german thing":
            I wrote him in german, because it was to difficult for me to express me in the right way. Often i have to look up vocabulary and every translation keeps a risk to say something, which i dont want to. In other words. I often think that i am " unverst?ndlich http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=w...verst%E4ndlich "!
            (take the right word for "unverst?ndlich". I REALY dont know )

The link should show you, how difficult it was, to say something more personal with the right words. Not only talk some gobbledygook.

thx H.i.M

EDIT: The correct translation might be "incomprehensible"
            Last edited by H.i.M; 10 August 2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

@Zhick

What shows the command "xrandr" at your machine with ati-driver?

friedrich@linsmann:~$ xrandr
              Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 1600 x 1200
              default connected 1600x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
              1600x1200 60.0*
              1440x900 60.0
              1400x1050 60.0
              1280x1024 75.0 70.0 60.0
              1280x960 60.0
              1280x768 60.0
              1280x720 60.0
              1152x864 75.0 70.0 60.0
              1024x768 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0
              800x600 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0 56.0
              720x480 60.0
              640x480 75.0 72.0 60.0
              640x432 60.0
              640x400 75.0 60.0
              512x384 75.0 60.0
              400x300 75.0 60.0
              320x240 75.0 60.0

i guess, if i could rotate my display, that something like "rotation-modes" should be displayed.

H.i.M

Comment

henning@zhick ~ $ xrandr
                Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1600 x 1600
                DVI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
                DVI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 338mm x 270mm
                1280x1024 60.0 + 75.0* 60.0 60.0
                1600x1200 60.0
                1400x1050 60.0
                1280x960 60.0
                1152x864 75.0 75.0
                1024x768 75.1 75.0 70.1 60.0
                832x624 74.6
                800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
                640x480 75.0 72.8 72.8 75.0 66.7 60.0 59.9

Just try 'xrandr --output default --rotate left' (or right)

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                  Just try 'xrandr --output default --rotate left' (or right)
                  friedrich@linsmann:~$ xrandr --output default --rotate left
                  xrandr: output default cannot use rotation "left" reflection "none"

seems to be not supported by now...

Comment

It should work, but You need to enable Randr extension:

Code:
                    zedd ~ # aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE"
                    and restart Xserver

This should do the job, unfortunately, on my laptop with HD3200 using xrandr --output LCD --rotate left (or whatever) makes a black screen

If someone have some knowledge how to push fglrx 8.10 or newer to work with Randr rotation, or it's working for him out of the box, please have a mercy for us poor people and share your knowledge/configs
                    Last edited by jabbas; 17 November 2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X