Greater than 2 Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greater than 2 Outputs

My current machine has two outputs (2x single-link DVI). I am finding that I want more. The only option appears to be multiple cards (the x2 ATI cards look to be two cards crossfired together on one slot).

The question is how well does linux OSS support multiple ATI cards?

Specifically, if I want a Compiz like 3d desktop setup over all four outputs do I need Crossfire?

If so, what is the current timetable (must finish X,Y,Z first etc) and how will the two cards work in the meantime?

Originally posted by psyquark View Post
    The only option appears to be multiple cards (the x2 ATI cards look to be two cards crossfired together on one slot).
    Another option would be Matrox TripleHead2Go which is a hardware-based solution that makes three displays appear to the computer as one. (It needs to be connected to a Windows machine once for configuration though)

Originally posted by psyquark View Post
    The question is how well does linux OSS support multiple ATI cards?
    AFAIR direct rendering on multiple graphics cards was problematic at least until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Another option would be Matrox TripleHead2Go which is a hardware-based solution that makes three displays appear to the computer as one. (It needs to be connected to a Windows machine once for configuration though)

AFAIR direct rendering on multiple graphics cards was problematic at least until recently.
      The triple head seems to be limited to the output of a DVI port, dual 1920x1200 displays are to much for the Matrox solution.

Can you give me an idea on which projects/efforts are working on the multiple graphics cards problem?

If I did get two HD4850 cards, what can I expect when trying to drive four displays both now and in the eventual future?

Comment

TripleHead2Go supports two 1920x1200 displays or three 1280x1024 ones.

Two graphics cards should be no problem for 2D (and that is all which is supported by the open source drivers for a 4850 at this time).

If you need 3D, you will have to use the proprietary driver. For more information on that, best ask in its forum.

Comment

Working...
        X