AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humbug View Post
    Freesync is not lock in. It works on all monitors supporting display port 1.2a adaptive sync which is an industry standard. And Intel/NVIDIA too could write drivers to enable same functionality on those monitors from their GPUs. So you are not locked in. The fact that they have not got around to doing it yet doesn't mean it's lock in.
    Yes, time will tell the story - but currently for me it is, as neither feature works across vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      Not quite:

280 (7970), and 270 (7870) series GPU's are still 'current'. Fiji will be the first GCN 1.3 architecture, and I believe that the Carrizo APU will be the same.
      Remember that GCN versions refer to the GFX block (graphics/shader/compute) but display capabilities like FreeSync are dictated by the display block version, not GFX.

For clarity I am neither confirming nor denying your forecast of GFX block versions.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Yes, time will tell the story - but currently for me it is, as neither feature works across vendors.
        The minute Intel adopt AdaptiveSynce we have single vendor lock-in and cross vendor open standard (actually we have that right now, as there is NOTHING that prevent Intel from doing what AMD do)

Nvidia is not licensing their stuff, nor they allow other to codevelop G-Sync.
        G-Sync thus will forever stay lock-in :P

Comment

It is vendor lockin either way If you have GSync monitor, AMD (or Intel or whatever) does not do anything to use that capability or otherwise if you have FreeSync monitor one nVidia does not do anything to use it .

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          Fiji will be the first GCN 1.3 architecture, and I believe that the Carrizo APU will be the same.
          Let alone big volcano Fiji that will probaby be 1.3, better expect Carrizo will be 1.2 and Carrizo-L 1.1
          Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Anyone compared freesync or gsync with simply using compton to remove tearing?
            Actually, I currently have to disable G-Sync when using Compton, because for some reason everything becomes very, very slow with both on together.

It could be a specific Compton configuration option I have enabled, not sure. Or an issue with the NVIDIA driver, perhaps.

BTW, G-Sync does work great on games in Linux, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Seems like the only people on Linux happy with AMD are the ideological ones
              seems like the only people on linux happy with nvidia are stupid ones who should be using windows instead

Comment

Yup, that is why both are lockin. It is enogh that one big refuse to play with the standards and lockin begin.
                no, it is not. when everyone but nvidia implements adaptive sync standard, it is not lockin, it is "nvdidia, fuck you"

Comment

It is vendor lockin either way If you have GSync monitor, AMD (or Intel or whatever) does not do anything to use that capability
                  moron, it is nvidia who does not allow them to use it and locks stupid buyers of that monitor into buying nvidia videocards, thus the nvidia's vendor lockin

Comment

It is pure vendor lockin above all . Nvidia cage to choose or other vendor cage - that is the lockin question, pick your poison as always Well, those are just excuses:

On one hand, Intel and AMD can say "nVidia does not allow us to do it - so yeah sorry, we can't support GSync" .

On the other hand you have nVidia, who said "we won't implement FreeSync support, because we have GSync... and you know what, fuck the standards - we don't need it"

And on the final third hand (yes that is the hand ) where we understands that those companies doing this only because of their business ways, customers are all locked in people, with just a little difference... if you like words like "morons and half smart asses or somethin'" we should be it - that must be best way to describe our positions as customers

Comment

It is pure vendor lockin above all . Nvidia cage to choose or other vendor cage - that is the lockin question, pick your poison as always Well, those are just excuses:

On one hand, Intel and AMD can say "nVidia does not allow us to do it - so yeah sorry, we can't support GSync" .

On the other hand you have nVidia, who said "we won't implement FreeSync support, because we have GSync... and you know what, fuck the standards - we don't need it"

And on the final third hand (yes that is the hand ) where we understands that those companies doing this only because of their business ways, customers are all locked in people, with just a little difference... if you like words like "morons and half smart asses or somethin'" we should be it - that must be best way to describe our positions as customers
                      You seem to have a very strange definition of vendor lockin, if it includes situations where you can choose between multiple vendors (AMD and Intel) and the 3rd major one is simply willfully choosing to ignore it even though they could use it for free.

I don't think that's what most people would call it.

Comment

Working...
                      X