No announcement yet.

ZOTAC Announces Steam Machine SN970, Powered By SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Valve really need 3 years to copy a PS1 controller... Chinese industry did it in 3 month 20 years ago!

As you said they loose so much time that all others vendors are taking their place, what a mess...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      A modern 300$ notebook already beats in power the PS4.
      Which $300 notebook has GPU performance of Radeon 7850?

Comment

Does Valve really need 3 years to copy a PS1 controller... Chinese industry did it in 3 month 20 years ago!

As you said they loose so much time that all others vendors are taking their place, what a mess...
        Exactly.. It's very frustrating. On the other hand, I bet even if Valve has the controller ready to ship they won't reveal it until E3 and won't start shipping it until the holiday season.

Comment

Yeah, because a controller with dual touchpad totally is as simple as a PS1 controller. Get real, the controller is the one part you will always have in your hands (well, except when you use mouse and keyboard) when you use a Steam machine, so this thing has to be perfect. This means: design it, build it, deploy to testers, test it, note shortcomings, redesign it, build it, deploy to testers, test it, note shortcomings, ... . This isn't some peace of software, where a bug is fixed and the new version gets automatically deployed over the net to the testers.
          If you think that you can do better feel free to contact Valve and show them all your engineering and design wisdom.
          Last edited by MoonMoon; 04 March 2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

A modern 300$ notebook already beats in power the PS4.
            Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Which $300 notebook has GPU performance of Radeon 7850?
            http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/...Benchmarks.jpg
            I would like one of those $300 notebooks too, please. Sounds like the GPU would be more than twice as fast as the Kaveri in the laptop I just purchased.
            Test signature

Comment

The problem with the whole PC vs Console isn't just the power/optimization/cost of the hardware and OS... it's the games and accessories.

I've got just over 200 games (yes, games, not betas or anything) in my steam library, just less than half of those will run on Linux. I can switch computers, get the next-gen graphics, and 75% of those will still run out-of-the-box, and after fiddling, usually 99% will. There's also tons of addons or mods that people make for the games that adds a whole lot of fun and/or replay value.

I've got Project64 and some Xbox 360 controllers that I use on my PC and it's awesome playing super smash bros 64 with some friends on a couch.

In the end, no lie, I will spend more on my PC than I will consoles in terms of hardware, but I spent much more on consoles just with software and subscriptions to play the freaking games online.

I mean, if it's that hard to host and maintain a game server, insert real ads to replace the fake ones in games, like a building in Battlefield 4 to have some sort of Coca-Cola ad. Since the information as to where players are looking is being sent to the server, the server hosts can get a few cents from an advertiser. In one game of rush, that's a lot of moneyz. There's always some way that someone can get that even in Garry's Mod.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but here's more information for the Zotac SN970.

So, if the name didn't give it away, it's using the NVidia 970M.
                Specs:
                • SteamOS preloaded, have
                • Nvidia GeForce GTX970M 3GB GDDR5
                • 8GB DDR3
                • 64GB M.2 SSD
                • 1TB 2.5" HDD
                • 802.11ac Wireless + 4.0 Bluetooth

And no known price.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  • Nvidia GeForce GTX970M 3GB GDDR5
                  I think I'm the only one that finds this pointless especially if the price is going to be high.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                    I think I'm the only one that finds this pointless especially if the price is going to be high.
                    I wouldn't call it pointless at all. If you consider how dies are binned after the fabrication process, mobile bins are some of the highest quality dies produced.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                      With desktop cooling and no battery life to worry about, it should really pack a punch.

Comment

Working...
                      X