tearing when playing HD video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tearing when playing HD video

Hello I experience a lot of tearing when playing HD video(mplayer).

Someone at phoronix's irc channel suggested that enabling vsync would be a work around. So I found out that I could use aticonfig to enable vsync.
    So I ran "aticonfig --initial --sync-vsync=on", and "Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"" appeared in the device section. But when playing HD video after restarting the xserver, I still experience som tearing.

What can be the issue?

Everyone seems to be experiencing tearing with the drivers. I myself have yet to find a fix for it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm having a tough time keeping open vs. closed source options straight in my head ;(

My recollection was that today opengl had vsync option but video did not, so having your player go out through opengl may help.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yeah, I'm having a tough time keeping open vs. closed source options straight in my head ;(

My recollection was that today opengl had vsync option but video did not, so having your player go out through opengl may help.
        What would an useful mplayer option be for
        mythtv to enable OpenGL output ?

What xorg.conf settings should be set to make sure vsych are on ?

Comment

Originally posted by Uber View Post
          What would an useful mplayer option be for
          mythtv to enable OpenGL output ?

What xorg.conf settings should be set to make sure vsych are on ?
          Not sure about the mythtv bit but mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4:lscale=1 works for me.

The lscale=1 is bicubic luma there are other options/scale methods see the gl driver section of the manual.

To get vsync use amdcccle and set the slider in 3D->more options.

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post

The lscale=1 is bicubic luma there are other options/scale methods see the gl driver section of the manual.

Well it removes the tearing but the my display gets totally fucked up, when not playing the video in fullscreen. I don't use compiz and friends.

Anybody got a workaround for that?

Comment

That bug was introduced in 8-6. AFAIK nobody has found a workaround yet, so you'll have to use 8-5 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post

=D

Oh yeah, now it's way better. (Just running from shell atm..)
                Thanks! My $$$$ HTPC system is now finaly showing it's glory.

Comment

I must really be doing something wrong.

I'm running the 8.6 Catalysts (FGLRX 8.50.3) under Ubuntu 8.04. Desktop effects are enabled (wobbly windows, spinning cubes, etc) and works fine, and I can watch video with VLC or SMplayer in either windowed or full screen mode without tearing or other massively bad problems (some things I've copied over to the computer don't look real sharp at 1920 X 1200) but most of it looks fine, to me.

I don't recall having done anything unusual to the setup...in the Catalyst Control Center I did set the 3D > More Setings > Wait for Vertical Refresh slider to the second from left position.

I'm very happy with the 8.6 package, aside from my philosophical preference for open-source stuff. I find the problems others are having with FGRLX to be a bit vexing, but I have no idea what I did and they didn't to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                    I must really be doing something wrong.

I'm running the 8.6 Catalysts (FGLRX 8.50.3) under Ubuntu 8.04. Desktop effects are enabled (wobbly windows, spinning cubes, etc) and works fine, and I can watch video with VLC or SMplayer in either windowed or full screen mode without tearing or other massively bad problems (some things I've copied over to the computer don't look real sharp at 1920 X 1200) but most of it looks fine, to me.

I don't recall having done anything unusual to the setup...in the Catalyst Control Center I did set the 3D > More Setings > Wait for Vertical Refresh slider to the second from left position.

I'm very happy with the 8.6 package, aside from my philosophical preference for open-source stuff. I find the problems others are having with FGRLX to be a bit vexing, but I have no idea what I did and they didn't to get it working.
                    Most people forget to mention what they have already done before posting about their problem. On a fresh install of something like Ubuntu, you really shouldn't have any problems installing the driver, unless you don't have the necessary dependencies or did a major system upgrade before (sometimes distros will update certain libraries that render the drivers unstable).

Comment

Working...
                    X