No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed the driver on a fresh Ubuntu 8.04 with a Radeon 4870. After the installation was finished I heard the Ubuntu logoff sound, and when I logged of and did a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I got screen corruption. But after I restarted my pc, the corruption was gone, so I guess it works. Glxgears gives me a nice 12500 fps and everything feels nice and smoothly so far.

Comment

Works for me // Still mad at ATI //

As always theses drivers have issues (sign). I found that by using the default amdpcsdb fixed slowdown that I was having.

:Warning this will reset all your setting that you changed in ATI control center, maybe your xorg settings too.

cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.old
      cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

Comment

One thing is fixed and another is broke... Although, I have to say I am not completely sure this is an ATI issue.

fgl_glxgears gives me a seg fault Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer

I've been googling a bit, but havent found anything that fixes it. Everything is fine when compiz isnt running... but seg faults with it on. flg_glxgears -fbo works, but... creates massive screen distortion even after I kill the gears - pretty much renders the desktop useless until I restart X.

Nothing unusual in the logs... and this only started occurring after the 8.7 update. ATI is such an easy scapegoat though...

** So, I've discovered that since compiz always runs as LIBGL_INDIRECT - that launching a terminal window using compiz's key commands will create that terminal as a child process and as such will inherit compiz's environment (along with the LIBGL_INDIRECT)... Well, fgl_glxgears will always seg fault in that environment. Running a simple xterm and running the same will work as it should **
        Last edited by caleb12; 24 July 2008, 09:00 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved

Comment

caleb12, which GPU are you using ?
          Test signature

Comment

[ Once again ... ] New driver sucks :/

Well,

the 8.6 ati driver was just freezing and locking my whole computer when I was launching a 3D game.

the 8.7 is a bit better, it only crashes the Xorg server at the start of a 3D Game (using cedega) ... or (when it doesn't) just make the display look like a random colorful art picture ...

Summary :
            ---------

- 8.4 ATI DRIVER :

Lacks the 2.6.25 kernel support ...
            Pb with 4Gb of RAM using 64Bit arch or 32bit arch with no 64Gb support enabled.

- 8.5 ATI DRIVER :

Same issues as the ones of the 8.4 driver but has 2.6.25 kernel support
            Black borders at the X start and after each resolution change ==> fixed using a script got on this forum then tuned.

- 8.6 ATI DRIVER :

cedega Wow.exe -opengl ==> Computer freeze, needs a hard reboot.
            wine Wow.exe -opengl ==> Computer freeze, needs a hard reboot.

- 8.7 ATI DRIVER :

cedega Wow.exe -opengl ==> X crash, need to CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and restart X
            wine Wow.exe -opengl ==> corrupted display, unusable, need to kill the app.

In four month, I've not seen much improvement ...

At the same time, still no 3870X2 support ... how long will it take ATI to provide us with consistent and solid fully working drivers ?

Desperate ...

hehe2
            Last edited by hehe2; 23 July 2008, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              caleb12, which GPU are you using ?
              ATI Technologies Inc M24 1P [Radeon Mobility X600]
              Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3082

Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
              Kernel modules: fglrx, radeonfb

Comment

Another bullshit release...

The open source ati and radeonhd driver are much better than the crap fglrx driver.

Comment

:s bullshit on your bullshit.

There was a time when I couldn't play savage2 because of invisible models. S2games put out a release that fixed most of it and now with 8.7, ati have fixed the few remaining graphical problems.

Yes we do have a few bugs overall but for the most part things are moving forward.

A lot of people have been complaining that the wine bug isn't fixed. Remember, we are using linux! Native apps should come first. As for games, they're a recreational pass time, they should be low on the list of priorities.

Comment

I'm seeing some improvement too. My mobility X1400 seems a bit quicker scrolling in firefox with 8.7 versus 8.6.

But on the negative side, the latest ubuntu hardy kernel update to 2.6.24-20 seems to have broken the fix for full screen flashing in google earth and dvd's. With the older kernel 2.6.24-19 and 8.7 and compiz, there's no flashing. But with the latest kernel (-20), the flashing is back. Any ideas?

Thanks for the progress!

paul

Comment

i will stick with radeon 6.9.0 on my mobility 1600...its much better then this crap

it is missing just powerplay implementation. It is much better to have nosier than unstable notebook

Comment

Working...
                      X