Interstellar Marines On Linux With Catalyst: Bull S*#@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
    Firmware is hardware drivers. IE bios/cmos. It is an off system intermediary between the actual hardware and the OS. Microcode falls into this category.

Linus and everyone else who manages the kernel would throw a fit if there was anything closed source/binary in the kernel.

Considering I haven't been corrected by Bridgeman yet I'll assume I am on the right track.
    I know exactly what a firmware is. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. Matter of fact I happen to disagree with folks that don't like the firmware blobs. We wouldn't have the awesome oss kernel drivers without them.

When I build a kernel, I do configure it to include those firmware blobs in the image. It's simpler for me to deal with that way. Although I understand that's not a default configuration.

Comment

Does that mean the xf86-video-amdgpu userspace will have kind of a passthrough for the Catalyst drivers? If so then the xf86-video-amdgpu part will have 3 modes.
      The other userspace drivers don't really talk to the X driver (other than indirectly via DRI to find out where windows are etc...), they just talk to the kernel driver.

Would the Catalyst components be provided out of the box in open source sensitive distro's?
      I'm boycotting the term "out of the box" because half the world uses it to mean "in box" and the other half uses it to mean "not in box". Distros would normally ship with the all-open stack, but the hybrid stack could be installed separately.

In the earlier post I forgot to mention that both all-open and hybrid stacks will include the open source (so far it's the mostly-open-source but we're making progress) HSA runtime.
      Test signature

Comment

Ignoring the rest of this thread:
        As an AMD APU user, I've had nothing but issues from the Unity engine. Pretty much every game written in it runs like absolute crap. We _could_ put the blame on AMD here, but seeing as Unreal or even games with home-made (or indie) engines run absolutely great on my system, I'm going to have to point fingers at the Unity devs and their poorly optimized engine on this one. I'm surprised he could get that high of a framerate, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm boycotting the term "out of the box" because half the world uses it to mean "in box" and the other half uses it to mean "not in box". Distros would normally ship with the all-open stack, but the hybrid stack could be installed separately.
          Debian will likely not ship it as it is (even opensource part) even it is partly separate... as amdgpu kernel driver clearly depends on firmwares and amdgpu ddx partly on userspace blobs (again from non-free section) thus amdgpu driver really belongs to contrib section... Debian as known "open source sensitive distro" does not intended to do that ootb or whatever term you like "functional by default", etc...

Yeah it will be apt-get away, but that is about it .
          Last edited by dungeon; 23 January 2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I don't mean anything negative by it. But, the kernel driver won't function without the appropriate firmwares. So it's the same difference.
            Well, ok. But you can't run the driver without an actual hardware GPU either, and I doubt you'd say there is a physical GPU inside the kernel.

It's probably more accurate to say that the hardware relies on some binary blobs still, even if you use the open source driver in the kernel.

Comment

Debian clearly distinguish what it is, easy to learn from there and to know that .

It is only that bridgman boycotting various terms people use, like: out of the box, blobs, firmwares, etc... i just wondering what is next known floss term for boycotting

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Debian clearly distinguish what it is, easy to learn from there and to know that .

It is only that bridgman boycotting various terms people use, like: out of the box, blobs, firmwares, etc... i just wondering what is next known floss term for boycotting
                Who honestly cares if the hybrid stack is there when you use normal distro installers? If the OSS one is fast enough and boots you in a stable fashion to desktop, you can do whatever you want. Also it's not like it's that hard to make custom installers yourself if you really really need the hybrid stack immediately after installation

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

For the record, I'm only boycotting "out of the box" / "out of box" because there's a good chance no two adjacent people will agree on what it means. The rest I can live with although I hate seeing people describe microcode as firmware just to make you think it's running on the main CPU.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    For the record, I'm only boycotting "out of the box" / "out of box" because there's a good chance no two adjacent people will agree on what it means. The rest I can live with although I hate seeing people describe microcode as firmware just to make you think it's running on the main CPU.
                    Fwiw will the two stacks be parallel installable or will you have to remove one to install the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                      Pathetic excuse. The game should run fine both ways. It would be utterly ridiculous if I couldn't play my games in window mode I mean come on.

OpenGL seems to be a lost cause for AMD when even an indie title developed on an engine for indies that's several years old runs like complete ass. I'm just here waiting for OpenGL Next to finally release, I don't even care if Linux gets any more games until then. I hope AMD manages to finally get competitive with Nvidia then.
                      Unity has terrible performance on windows, too. I have never played a Unity game that ran for crap, and I can't even run Unty 4 games at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X