Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
    exactly... which ones?
    I know that the ati site claims the newest fglrx driver (8.6) supports (probably basic support at best, not really sure) the hd3200. As I said before, I installed it and found that xorg cpu was unacceptably high, around 100%, just in plain 2D (i havent installed any compiz or 3d stuff). I conclude that fglrx, although it can give me the correct resolution for my digital monitor, there is no hardware support yet for this chip. I tried many settings in the xorg.conf, as suggested in several places.Nothing. I am using vesa because the cpu problem is less worst. I wonder if the problem is the lack of support only for the 64-bit systems, which i'm using?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxei View Post
      I conclude that fglrx, although it can give me the correct resolution for my digital monitor, there is no hardware support yet for this chip.
      I am trying to respectfully suggest that your conclusion is wrong

If you have that kind of high utilization that means either something went wrong with your installation or there is something with your configuration that is preventing acceleration from working (SBIOS treatment of RAM above 4GB seems to be a common problem still).

Please look in your system BIOS settings for something related to RAM remapping above 4GB and let us know what you find.
      Test signature

Comment

I've got the same chipset and the same problem.
        I can't vsync, can't use modlines and this results in lots of screen tearing while watching movies.
        IMHO a 780g with HDMI (HTPC) and no vsync (screen tearing) is not very useful.
        Hope u can figure it out but i would recommend the Windows setup for now (UVD is nice 2).

Comment

I have seen a few people using OpenGL for the player output rather than Xv, since apparently we do have working vsync there already. Haven't experimented with it myself but might be worth a try.

WJust curious, what are you trying to do with the modelines that can't be done another way ?
          Test signature

Comment

modlines are for my beamer,
            are u sure vsync is working for OpenGL?
            i'm using XBMC for linux and that works with OpenGL
            I'll try some other app

thnx for the quick reply (I'll try not to hijack this thread )

Comment

Until I see something work with my own eyes I'm not sure about anything but that's what I'm hearing from other posters

Is the issue with the beamer that you want the display running at a certain resolution even if the beamer is turned off when you boot and hence can't supply EDID info ?

I think you have to explicitly enable OpenGL vsync, not sure of the details from memory.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I think you have to explicitly enable OpenGL vsync, not sure of the details from memory.
                In xorg.conf or an Mplayer option ?

Comment

I have gigabyte with the HD3200 IGP. I'm using hdmi cable to TV.

I played around a little today and learned a bit about git. So I've updated radeon and radeonhd. Tried them both with the 2.6.26 kernel.

Colors were goofed up with radeon.
                  Radeonhd looked OK but screen was larger than monitor.
                  Maybe it could have looked better if I knew what I was doing regarding xorg.conf.
                  glxgears was slow, around 680 for whatever its worth.
                  After exiting out of X, the graphics was goofed up but could still almost use.

Catalyst 8.4 to 8.7 don't work with 2.6.26 kernel.

Rebooted with 2.6.25.11 kernel and reloaded Catalyst 8.5
                  glxgears gives about 2100.
                  Unload fglrx module and restart x

glxgears gives about 720.

So fglrx seems to run better than the open source files so far for the HD3200.

I've never gotten xv to work on this mboard. In xine or mplayer, use xshm or x11. If fglrx is loaded as module, opengl and sdl work OK.

For open source drivers, what modules should be loaded?
                  agpgart?
                  drm?
                  Last edited by forum1793; 27 July 2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
                    For open source drivers, what modules should be loaded?
                    agpgart?
                    drm?
                    There's not acceleration of these chips yet in the open source driver, so for now all you need is radeon or radeonhd. We are working on accel support now.

Comment

So, if using the open source drivers I get weird colors and a resolution I don't like (image is too large for monitor), what do I want in xorg.conf. The relevant section of my xorg.conf are below.

Note that I don't know what to use for hsync and vert refresh. I have a Vizio 32" LCD TV. Using setup below I only get 2 screen sizes seen in "Configure Display" (from right click in kde). One is 1280 by something, and the other is 640x480. I don't remember these numbers exactly but I think that's what they were.

Also with very bottom of my conf, uncommented, X gives me errors that EOF was found and it halts starting. What does this Group video and mode 0660 do?

Code:
                      Section "Monitor"
                      	Identifier   "My Monitor"
                      	HorizSync    31.5 - 50.0
                      	VertRefresh  40.0 - 90.0
                      EndSection

Section "Device"
                      	Identifier  "RadeonVid"
                       	Driver "radeonhd"
                      EndSection

Section "Screen"
                      	Identifier "Screen 2"
                      	Device     "RadeonVid"
                      	Monitor    "My Monitor"
                      	DefaultDepth     24
                      	SubSection "Display"
                      		Depth     8
                      		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                      	EndSubSection
                      	SubSection "Display"
                      		Depth     16
                      	EndSubSection
                      	SubSection "Display"
                      		Depth     24
                      	EndSubSection
                      	SubSection "Display"
                      		Depth     32
                      	EndSubSection
                      EndSection

#Section "DRI"
                      #	Group        "video"
                      #	Mode         0660
                      #EndSection
                      Last edited by forum1793; 28 July 2008, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X