Catalyst Omega 14.12 is out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst Omega 14.12 is out.

The new driver is out, apparently supporting Xorg 1.16. I can't test it atm unfortunately.

Release notes:

I upgraded to the new driver. Now, my computer crashes when I resume from suspend (before that it used to resume, but the GPU fan would go up to full blast). I'm running Ubuntu 14.04... I'll try to search through some logs later and try to figure out why.

Edit: Resizing windows still chokes up the CPU, Ubuntu animations (e.g. print screen) still choppy. My initial assessment: It's garbage, as usual. Still hoping to switch to radeonsi when they get fan control working.
    Last edited by plasmasnake; 09 December 2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Update: It was tear-free desktop that was causing my system to crash. And actually it wasn't really crashing, I was able to go into a virtual terminal and "sudo service lightdm restart" and that would fix things (until the next suspend/resume of course).

I disabled tear-free desktop, and no more issues with suspend/resume, but of course you need to deal with the tearing.

The other issues still remain: Laggy desktop animations and the fan reverting to full blast after suspend/resume (this only affects you if your card's manufacturer was too lazy to put an intelligent fan profile into your card's vBIOS, instead setting it to a constant 40% and letting Catalyst override the fan control through software). I'm using a Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 (on Ubuntu 14.04, as stated in my prior post). Although, after disabling tear-free desktop I'm now able to resize windows without slowing down to less than 1 fps like it was before.

Comment

Maybe the next feature after tear-free desktop is crash-free desktop

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Maybe the next feature after tear-free desktop is crash-free desktop
          Hah... I love it.

I'm sort of posting here as I notice things so maybe I could have waited to collect all the info and do it all in one post, but oh well...

Even with tear-free desktop disabled, the tearing isn't so bad on my main display (2560x1440). On my secondary display, if it's set to 1920x1200 it's also not bad, but rotating it to 1200x1920 (I have the monitor in portrait mode) results in horrible tearing when dragging windows around.

AMD claims that for this driver release they tested a wider variety of monitor configurations, and that they support mixed landscape/portrait eyefinity. I call bull**** PR talk. This driver can't even handle my simple dual-monitor configuration without tripping out. Or maybe they only tested more thorougly for the Windows version of the driver, but not Linux.

Comment

Good thing they tell us of their plans. "Omega" means last, no more catalyst ever

Comment

AMD completely sucks! How to use Tonga based cards with Xserver 1.17? There are not even official amdgpu patches for 3.18 and fglrx is completely impossible. I hope that vaapi is not just a xvba wrapper from AMD. Maybe ldd/strings will tell the truth. Did somebody test it with xbmc/kodi/vlc/mplayer-vaapi yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                AMD completely sucks! How to use Tonga based cards with Xserver 1.17? There are not even official amdgpu patches for 3.18 and fglrx is completely impossible. I hope that vaapi is not just a xvba wrapper from AMD. Maybe ldd/strings will tell the truth. Did somebody test it with xbmc/kodi/vlc/mplayer-vaapi yet?
                VAAPI is a new, native implementation and does not use the wrapper. It works just fine with mpv, Kodi/XBMC blacklists AMD cards for VAAPI at the moment so not sure.

Xserver 1.17 isn't released yet.

Comment

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, the bug continueeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

@d2kx

You are right, xserver 1.17 is not released, but nvidia has already support for it. Well, will check this driver out soon. Maybe it works at least with 1.16.2 RC1. vaapi support does not seem to work that well however, but will try it on my own. XBMC 13.2 had no blacklist for any vaapi driver btw.

Comment

Working...
                    X