Valve's Dota 2 Game Can (Still) Run Natively On Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I'm doubtful SteamOS will ever switch over to Mir, but i guess we'll find out. The thing is, I don't think they're going to want to bring in Unity to SteamOS, and without that they are likely looking at a port/maintenance work on Mir of an unknown size/scope. Unless Canonical commits to providing that support for them, I doubt it happens.
    They could switch to Mir... and run the risk of pissing off (and on) developers. Developers are not the end users who fork over the majority of the cash that keeps a company like Valve afloat, but if history is any indication, pissing off developers en masse is a bad idea. He who fails to keep his thumb on the developers' pulse, ultimately pays a price.

It's all about perception - and the perception right now is that Mir (like 'uselessd' or 'devuan') should not exist and that Wayland should. You can (largely) thank Mr Shuttleworth for giving rise to this perception.

This man had it right.

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
      but valve does know which distro is the most popular one among its community using steam statistics
      November 2014 most popular linux distro
      Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64 bit
      35.09%
      -5.72%
      Running which desktop?

Comment

As SteamOS is based on Debian and not Ubuntu it is more or less impossible that Mir is an option for it. Thats an Ubuntu only pet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          As SteamOS is based on Debian and not Ubuntu it is more or less impossible that Mir is an option for it. Thats an Ubuntu only pet.
          Citation needed for SteamOS being based on Debian. All concrete signs show Steam runtime is tied to Ubuntu for now

Comment

SteamOS is based on Debian wheezy recompiled against a newer libc6. What has that to do with any runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              SteamOS is based on Debian wheezy recompiled against a newer libc6. What has that to do with any runtime?
              Steam games run on top of Steam runtime which is last I checked a collection of libs from an old Ubuntu release. IOW even if you ran it inside Debian, all relevant libs iirc including libc are from Ubuntu

Comment

Yes, and thats why you think SteamOS is Ubuntu based?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Citation needed for SteamOS being based on Debian. All concrete signs show Steam runtime is tied to Ubuntu for now
                  duckduckgo, duck duck go, ddg, lmddgtfy, let me duckduckgo that for you, lmdtfy, let me duck that for you, let me search that for you

Idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Steam games run on top of Steam runtime which is last I checked a collection of libs from an old Ubuntu release. IOW even if you ran it inside Debian, all relevant libs iirc including libc are from Ubuntu
                    None of which has anything to do with Mir, Wayland, or whether SteamOS is based on Debian. SteamOS is an OS, not just some libraries that games run on.

Comment

Working...
                    X