Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfdesktop 4.10.3 Released While Xfce 4.12 Remains M.I.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Xfce (via Xubuntu) even on non-resource limited computers. I like it. I don't see myself switching for a while. Especially during the current somewhat frequenct major back end and front end changes other DEs are going through. I feel the same about everything else as the comments earlier. If I ever get a Linux tablet then I'll for sure use something more tablet friendly though.

I really like Thunar's Custom Actions for easily making custom context menu entries (although Nemo's Nemo Actions seems to be good too) using easily written scripts. I also like the Generic Monitor panel plugin to make custom indicators from simple scripts. You can even control the font, colors, icons, etc.

Comment

i've been using xfce since I started using linux on the desktop. But I'll switch to a qt based DE as one appropriate will be available (no, kde is not appropriate). I'm thinking of lxqt and kwin as window manager at the moment.

ps. xfce vsync workaround doesn't really work and I had to disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianB View Post
        Saying xfce is loosing users is probably a educated guess, the marketshare of desktop linux isn't growing much, the users of the new desktops are coming from somewhere and its just unlikely that they are switching from any DE apart from XFCE.
        Well it?s your opinion and just like what Michael wrote in the article it?s just FUD.

Comment

Well, I for myself did abandon xfce for lack of developement. It's pretty annoying when bugs don't get fixed even after years...

Comment

A long time ago I was never happy with kde or gnome or any other DE. Not only because of there resource hunger, but also because many versions were buggy like hell.
            Then I found IceWM and stuck with it for a few years. After that got to xfce and use it to this day. And I don't see a reason to switch any time soon.

But I like it that some more lightweight DEs emerge now.

Comment

My datapoint is probably a bit old, given I left xfce already around 4.10 (IIRC that version). I had used it for a year, but left when it added a binary registry, the new mixer applet didn't support OSS, and generally got tired of its bloat.

Sooo... That makes two users who left xfce and ~4 who still use it. Gotta be a representative sample.

Comment

I use Openbox for many years, a like credo of it - Openbox: Never Change

It cames by default with one colored Desktop without anything else and i like that I add wallpaper to it, some panel, some file manager, etc. and that is pretty much about it
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 November 2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  What they should do is port it to gtk3 in order to gain Wayland and Mir support...
                  This seems to be a thread for unsubstantiated claims, so I will point out that what they're really doing is porting to Qt5. You saw it here first.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Sooo... That makes two users who left xfce and ~4 who still use it. Gotta be a representative sample.
                    Well, I switched to Xfce when 4.10 was released as GNOME 3 was never going to support my chosen monitor configuration, which later resulted in two of my brothers switching soon after as they usually just tend to follow my example. I also have my HTPC setup working on top of Xfce, although I do still use GNOME and LXDE in other environments in which they are more appropriate.

So I guess that makes it six users that are still using it now. We are the 75%!

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      Xfce just works, I dont see what is the issue with the no newer features added. What they should do is port it to gtk3 in order to gain Wayland and Mir support...
                      GTK3 and Wayland support would be new features?

Comment

Working...
                      X