No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Than stop using Linux completly if you dont want to know what your programs actually do And there are Arch spins for "Newcomers". At least I heard so.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but on Debian sid(uction), I have to restart manually after upgrading the nvidia module (not sure if just restarting X would do the trick).
      I'm on Debian jessie/sid, though I've installed the nvidia driver from experimental. Restarting X works fine for me, BUT I do need to remove and reinsert the nvidia module from the console after stopping X. Done it a dozen times. Never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        Than stop using Linux completly if you dont want to know what your programs actually do And there are Arch spins for "Newcomers". At least I heard so.
        So if a person does not care how a coputer works he or she should just buy a mac or windows PC? That has got the be the stupidest thing I have seen. Please stop this 4chan.org/g/ trash posting.

Comment

In FarCry 3 appear some errors in colors (in before versions appears good)

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
            So if a person does not care how a coputer works he or she should just buy a mac or windows PC? That has got the be the stupidest thing I have seen. Please stop this 4chan.org/g/ trash posting.
            +1

My father is 65 and uses Ubuntu daily to do "classic stuff" like docs, music & web-surfing and it's perfect for him.

Should I ask him to learn to manually compile and insert the nvidia module 346 because VP8 can change his life on his laptop?

I'd prefer say to him to use Windows 8.1, the start menu is back...

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              My GTX 980 under Fedora 21 beta has been giving me "no signal" to my monitor for Virtual Consoles, plus when I power on the TV I don't get a signal showing the KDE lock screen unless I Ctrl+Alt+F2,Ctrl+Alt+F1. I hope this driver fixes some of that...
              Yeah, it didn't fix either

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                Yeah, it didn't fix either
                I don?t know how you create new resolutions with the nvidia blob (does xrandr work?) but creating a new 59.9Hz mode might help. It solved a random "out of range" problem on an AMD APU here (FOSS driver).

Of course it?s entirely probable this is a totally different issue :P.

Comment

Another crappy driver that doesn't fix any major issue, enabling SLI still leads to a crash while booting fedora 20(I've tried other distros in the past the problem is common to all), at least on my setup(2*gtx760).

CSGO is filled with tearing and overall the game doesn't "flow" as good as it does on windows, at least not good enough for competitive play.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
                    That's not quite what he's saying. He thinks Arch is the best distribution in the whole world, and believes everybody is better off using it, or one of its spin-offs.

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                    It's hard to believe this was directed at me, but like I told you in that short post, I'm the person who maintains that advertised nvidia-beta package, so If I was to not "want to know" the correlation between the components and the packaging process, which I supposedly created myself, we're in really bad shape over here at Arch. It's the very reason I've been able to become the maintainer of such important packages (Google Earth, Google Chromes, Nvidias (beta), JRE/JDK, Firefox (beta),...). If you want to take your experience against mine, you are more than welcome to try.

I'd recommend Ubuntu or one of its spin-offs to a person switching from Windows/OS X any day. The fundamental thing all three have in common, is that they spend hours and hours trying to make themselves easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
                      Another crappy driver that doesn't fix any major issue, enabling SLI still leads to a crash while booting fedora 20(I've tried other distros in the past the problem is common to all), at least on my setup(2*gtx760).

CSGO is filled with tearing and overall the game doesn't "flow" as good as it does on windows, at least not good enough for competitive play.
                      I don't know if you know but SLI on Linux has been a complete mess. I had two 465gtxs awhile back and if I remember right, I got marginal to no performance gains on some of the unigine benchmarks. I had two 8800gtxs (before they cooked themselves to death) and they gave a marginal boost while playing WoW in Wine. Even in Windows, only a handful of games can truly leverage SLI.

GL

Comment

Working...
                      X