4K video & VDAPU on 6850.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4K video & VDAPU on 6850.

Simple question. Does the 6850 support HW accelerated 4K video or is there some kind of bug?

I think the UVD hardware in the 6850 is only rated for H.264 MVC. Also I believe that the radeon driver exposes only VDPAU up to 2048x1152, even if the hardware supports more.

Comment

HD 6850 specs Dual-link DVI with HDCP,DisplayPort 1.2, Max resolution: 2560x1600 HDMI? (With 3D, Deep Color and x.v.Color Max resolution: 1920x1200.
      UVD 3 dedicated video playback accelerator
      MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
      VC-1
      MPEG-2 (SD & HD)
      MVC (Blu-ray 3D)
      MPEG-4 Part 2 (DivX/Xvid)
      Adobe Flash

Only 1GB GDDR5 as well. I doubt you'd get satisfactory playback even if the drivers supported 4K
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

The 6850 supports DP 1.2 so 4K@60Hz will work (if you have a SST 4K monitor). Just video decode will not be accelerated (playback will).

Comment

Nope

AFAIK, none of the AMD cards support 4k accelerated video. Not even in Windows. Only some pretty recent Nvidia and Intel GPUs support 4k playback videos.

Comment

Thanks for the answers people.

The problem also is on gst that doesn't fall back on software.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              AFAIK, none of the AMD cards support 4k accelerated video. Not even in Windows.
              I think both Kaveri and Tonga support 4K video acceleration in hardware. It did not work (driver problem?) when Kaveri was released but with Tonga it is confirmed to work in Windows.

In this review we look at the new AMD Radeon R9 285. Yes this is the new Tonga GPU based product that will drive the price from high-end gaming towards 249 USD while you can game with good image quality settings at WQHD - 2560x1440. Follow us into this review where we'll look at temperatures, noise, performance and go ...

Comment

UVD on Kaveri does not support 4K decode.

Comment

Yup Kaveri do it with shaders, opencl maybe on Windows i don't know for sure i don't use Windows daily probably that is how they made less overhead with some video software there, because AFAIK UVD found in Kaveri does not support 4K decode .

Probably only hardware supported by amdgpu driver will support that

Comment

According to Guru3D review of the R9-285 has hardware supported video playback too.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X