Open-Source .NET Fans Push Its New Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    It may sound silly but a large part of reason for that is: It's a Microsoft Technology, as a result there is a lot of pressure by the FOSS community to "Go fuck off back to Windows" and that "It's a Patent Trojan RUN!!!!!!11111" regardless of the facts of the situation. As a result developers using .NET do "fuck off back to Windows" because they feel ostracized and unwelcome, and developers coming from Windows side are naturally going to develop using Windows APIs.

If the FOSS community was more welcoming then we'd probably see a lot more Mono + GTK# applications like Banshee in the wild.
    Instead of using those Patented Microsoft technologies they could create an alternative but these assclowns don't!
    It's a trap, not a welt concealed one.

Nobody forces them to choose .NET.
    If the developers want to embrace the community, then at least they should be original and create a legitimate ALTERNATIVE TO .NET!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      Instead of using those Patented Microsoft technologies they could create an alternative but these assclowns don't!

If the developers want to embrace the community, then at least they should be original and create a legitimate ALTERNATIVE TO .NET!!!
      When you grow up and possibly work for a real company that has a history of using Microsoft products, you'll find that switching languages and whatnot is simply not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
        When you grow up and possibly work for a real company that has a history of using Microsoft products, you'll find that switching languages and whatnot is simply not an option.
        That level of patronization is just disgusting.

I am grown up, have a development job, but I still don't see how the open source community is responsible for assuring Microsoft patented technologies make their way into their stacks.

That's not in their interest.

No one can tell you how to lead your project or which language to use, but they sure as hell can tell you to get out if you actually try pushing those technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post

Except that if it was made by any other company under the same basis as Microsoft did you half-wits (by which I mean all of you people running around screaming like banshees about patents) wouldn't have a problem with it. After all I note this stark silence on the topic of Java on that front despite the fact that both Sun Microsystems and Oracle litigated on it, while Microsoft has never litigated on C#.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosureSpin View Post
            That level of patronization is just disgusting...
            He's just talking about fanboyism. The kid (and I agree about the kid part) mentions
            something in the line of "creating an alternative to .NET". That's absolutely ridiculous.
            There is no framework of that size available in the whole world, let alone in Linux
            ecosystem. Creating alternative to .NET? It's a task the size of a mountain. .NET is
            not something two gnome-beards can whip-up in a couple of months.

Furthermore, Microsoft is moving fast to a company that is very, very different from
            the triple-E MS of yesterday. CLI and C# are both ECMA standards, the original compiler
            infrastructure has just been opensourced. There is really no need for such short-sighted
            hate towards MS. This could very well be the greatest gift MS gave to Linux ever.

Comment

This is a terrorist organisation under innocent flags. Its goal is to increase the amount of poison and dependency. If you want to make a diamond out of crap, you must at *least* start from white page. Xamarin already showed which direction (proprietary, poison towards mac) it is heading.

Make it from clean page (not projection of .net),
              make it original full implementation - not a subset (compare openjdk vs sun java),
              make it independent (not from ex-microsofties),
              then people will change opinions.

MONO is .Net trojan horse. Avoid!

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
                Furthermore, Microsoft is moving fast to a company that is very, very different from
                the triple-E MS of yesterday. CLI and C# are both ECMA standards, the original compiler
                infrastructure has just been opensourced. There is really no need for such short-sighted
                hate towards MS. This could very well be the greatest gift MS gave to Linux ever.
                Wake me up when you move to windows. So I can laugh my ass out.

Comment

The problem is that .NET and C# are Microsoft products, and this scares people. MS products only last ~5 years before they are deprecated or abandoned by MS. I haven't bothered touching .NET/C# for that reason; by the time you've got the hang of it and become an expert, you've also reached the end of the tech's life cycle. Then you have to switch to whatever MS pushes onto you, and start over. Rinse, repeat.

Of course, if you're in for quick money, and only produce temporary 'fire and forget' software solutions (aka business industry or commercial software) it may work fine for you (since you can retire early ). But I prefer to write software that lasts, and will (hopefully) be useful for decades to come. And I suspect most in the Open Source community value the same.

For that reason, any Open Source implementation of a Microsoft technology must reach maturity before MS abandons it, and have plan beyond that. Whenever the next MS tech replacing .NET/C# comes along, all the people developing the OSS variant will move on, neglecting current porting projects. I don't believe OSS .NET/C# is currently feature complete yet.

Also, as of Win8, Windows is no longer a viable platform to develop for. Windows is a sinking ship, it just sinks slowly because it is Titanic-sized. Balmer's carreer involved little more than rearranging deck chairs (heh), and the rat has now abandoned ship. Developers, developers, developers no longer matter as they once did, since MS switched exclusively to a service-based business model. Developers have now become a product to abuse, to join the increasingly confused (yet huge) userbase. before them. MS core tech is seems like a bad foundation to base a future career on, right now. 'Lock-in' is still the main strategy unchanged.

And I wouldn't worry much about the patents, they are becoming less and less relevant, as the legal system is becoming increasingly less tolerant to the abuses of the past. Though you can bet that MS will try to use them as primary weapon in it's final death-spin (SCO-style) and we will re-live those old fun times again. I also predict a heroic return of PJ when that happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    If the FOSS community was more welcoming then we'd probably see a lot more Mono + GTK# applications like Banshee in the wild.
                    I don't think Banshee is too highly regarded though?

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                      The problem is that .NET and C# are Microsoft products, and this scares people. MS products only last ~5 years before they are deprecated or abandoned by MS. I haven't bothered touching .NET/C# for that reason; by the time you've got the hang of it and become an expert, you've also reached the end of the tech's life cycle. Then you have to switch to whatever MS pushes onto you, and start over. Rinse, repeat.
                      Absolutely this. Even Joel has written on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X