Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raspberry pi SOC handle full hd in 3W

raspberry pi SOC handle full hd in 3W !

It is really so stupid how all AMD and nvidia drivers are programmed copy this and copy this and copy this and copy this, copy decodec image from kernel space to user space, then copy same data from user to kernel(GPU), and then copy it for stupid X back to user space and all 60fps in 4K how cool and wastefully it is

I am glad that AMD move to openmax and I hope that did it right this time or not?

This people don't care until we need cordless devices with at least 10 hours battery time.
    And still if anybody want to run Widows media center on modern hw, still need hw that consume at least 100W

I know that nvidia or AMD don't care about linux users but I am happy that they did it wrong on windows too
    Last edited by miskol; 29 June 2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Vim_User, how do you reconcile all the work that's been done (and is still being done) to support your hardware in the open source drivers with the statements you're making ? You're the one who said we're not going to do it, not us -- and AFAICS you're acting as if *we* said we wouldn't ever release it.

What we said is that yes, we have done a lot of work on it, yes there's been a lot of progress, yes there is still some work to do before we can release, yes we're still working on it, and like EVERY OTHER SCRAP OF OPEN SOURCE SUPPORT WE HAVE RELEASED IN THE LAST SEVEN YEARS we won't know until we're finished if & when we will be able to release it.
      I don't want to diminish your work on those drivers. What I am complaining about is that high priority work is only done on drivers for hardware where the alternative still exists to run the hardware with the proprietary driver. For pre-HD5xxx hardware this is nowadays only theoretically an option, here would it matter much more. Also from a business point of view, the customer is the one paying your work, upsetting the customer so that the next product the customer buys will be from a different brand should be a no-go.
      Sadly it seems that AMD still has not figured such a basic thing out.

And sadly every time you show up to comment on that topic you fail to actually answer the question: Has there been any progress made on UVD for RS780/880 in the last, lets say 9 months? If not, would you still call this low priority ? Or would you call it what it is: Nobody is working on that anymore?
      Last edited by Vim_User; 29 June 2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

And sadly every time you show up to comment on that topic you fail to actually answer the question: Has there been any progress made on UVD for RS780/880 in the last, lets say 9 months? If not, would you still call this low priority ? Or would you call it what it is: Nobody is working on that anymore?
        But you know that and less than 6 months ago they gave you an answer, to an question in this forum. So they told then the look into it, but even if implemented legal review could forbid them to release it. Still no way to complain about oss driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?94817-support-for-first-generation-UVD-blocks-%28RV6xx-RS780-RS880-and-RV790%29/page3

But in one point you are right, the catalyst legacy hw driver should get at least LTS linux distro release support, if oss support is not in place.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          Actually you are the one trolling here. Vim_User is politely asking for updates on the matter and gets in trouble since AMD is not wiling to publicly share the work progress (if any). For a desktop machine it's OK, but not for laptops because you can't simply swap the hardware.
          How am I trolling here?
          Read the previous post right above this one, bridgman has said the same things many times, and Vim_User keeps repeating the same things too, ignoring what he's just been said before. For example, Vim_User insists on talking about some "legal review", while bridgman has talked about technical review. He's right about complaining, but he's wrong in complaining (once and once again, ignoring their responses) to the people that is doing the job, because they do what they are told to do with the resources they are given, and can't influence AMD.
          Now, put yourself in bridgman's feet (or, in the feet of any linux dev...): a tiny group of users keep giving you bad reputation because you don't do what they want, instead of simply waiting for the (obvious) process of fixing and polishing it. How would you feel? that has happened MANY times, to bridgman and to others.
          I'm not defending AMD, I''m trying to defend the devs, they have done a great job with the small resources they have, and yet they are met with ungratefulness... You should, instead, (try to) help them, and put pressure *on their employer*.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            So when will we see the results from the E1-2100 Kabini?
            According to my results with Athlon 5350 i guess that should work fine:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

So Xv is around 10% average and vdpau 2% .

Maybe i can test by disabling 2 cores and downclocking it @1GHz .
            Last edited by dungeon; 29 June 2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
              It is really so stupid how all AMD and nvidia drivers are programmed copy this and copy this and copy this and copy this, copy decodec image from kernel space to user space, then copy same data from user to kernel(GPU), and then copy it for stupid X back to user space and all 60fps in 4K how cool and wastefully it is
              What are you talking about? This is not what is happening at all. Sensible VDPAU applications implementations don't involve any copies from GPU to host and back. Only VLC does this in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                But you know that and less than 6 months ago they gave you an answer, to an question in this forum. So they told then the look into it, but even if implemented legal review could forbid them to release it. Still no way to complain about oss driver.

But in one point you are right, the catalyst legacy hw driver should get at least LTS linux distro release support, if oss support is not in place.
                In the thread you linked to bridgman clearly says that a review process has to happen and that this review process can lead to:
                - more coding work on the driver
                - a release of UVD support
                - the bitter end: no UVD for that hardware

Since all this happens AMD internally the only chance we have to get information about this is to actually ask about progress on this, what I have done. And since bridgman constantly fails to tell us if there is progress or not I have to assume that in reality no one works on that, neither legal department nor developers.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  According to my results with Athlon 5350 i guess that should work fine:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

So Xv is around 10% average and vdpau 2% .

Maybe i can test by disabling 2 cores and downclocking it @1GHz .
                  Kernel 3.16-rc3 but governor performance and results go down - average 1.26% CPU used .

That ondemand is somewhat buggy, make high peaks in chart for both xv and vdpau cases .

@Vim_User

Can you do some benchmarks like this (or just tell what CPU is in that laptop) to show how much lack of vdpau is issue for you .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 29 June 2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    I have answered multiple times, and the answer is yes.
                    Test signature

Comment

BTW, did you people read my first comment in this thread? VDPAU in radeon doesn't really help that much... until we have complete AVC decoding by HW, and even then, GStreamer doesn't work very well in firefox (it crashes the browser in my system, it's a known bug IIRC), and youtube uses VP8/9.

Comment

Working...
                      X