No announcement yet.

black border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you try commenting out most of the driver options in your conf file ? I'm thinking most about the "DesktopSetup" and "Mode2" options but I would be tempted to hack out pretty much everything.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Can you try commenting out most of the driver options in your conf file ? I'm thinking most about the "DesktopSetup" and "Mode2" options but I would be tempted to hack out pretty much everything.
      I'll try that as soon as I can. I've tried a lot of things with aticonfig and I might have messed up something.
      Thanks for the help.

Edit:
      I've commented out almost everything in the device section and still no luck.
      here is my Xorg log and my xorg.conf
      Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
      Last edited by pepone; 04 July 2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Great finally i can use my SHARP perfectly!!!

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
        We asked some questions internally, it looks like a default setting for HDMI was changed in the common code. This has triggered a number of monitors to underscan.

Note that this does not happen on all HDTV monitors, some actually need this setting to have a normal near-pixel perfect screen.

To override this setting try setting this value and restarting X.

aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

To enable this functionality through the configuration tools it will not come for a number of releases, since this setting is quite deep under the covers and there are other issues that will need to be resolved to fix this fully.

Please advise if this resolves this issue.
        This work perfect!!! thank you very much. I'm using Ati 8.7 Drivers with HD 3870 on Ubuntu Hardy.

Comment

Finally got this working, only in 1920x1080

These forums have been great. I got a gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h last week. Got the 8.8 drivers loaded, and had black borders. It took me two days to get rid of them. My TV is a Panasonic 42" 720p plasma, attached via hdmi. I was running in 1280x720 mode and none of the options posted here would make the borders go away. Turning off underscan did not work, at least not by itself. Adjusting the position and size had an effect, but still I could not get the borders to go away. However, changing my screen resolution to 1920x1080, and experimenting with the x and y size and position, with underscan off, I was able to make the borders go away. However, only in that resolution. If I change to any other resolution, the borders are back (and the screen isn't centered either). I noticed that when setting the resolution lower and using --query-dispattrib, the max size varied based on my resolution. So if I set the value of X to 1900 while in 1920x1080 mode, then switch to 1280x720 mode, the 'value' was reported as 1900, and the 'max' as 1280, which just seems wrong. I just wanted to post my experience here in case it can help somebody else. I'd also like to suggest that the size and position variables may need tweaking to either have multiple sets, so as to be assignable independently for each resolution, or if there is only one set, then it should always be relative to the native resolution of the monitor, rather than the current x-win resolution. I would love to be able to get this working at 720p resolution, since I can read text much better in a browser at that resolution on my TV. Also, though I haven't done any test to confirm this, I have to believe that my HTPC is wasting either CPU or GPU resources by upscaling video to 1080p, just so that my TV can scale in back down to 720p.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
            We asked some questions internally, it looks like a default setting for HDMI was changed in the common code. This has triggered a number of monitors to underscan.

Note that this does not happen on all HDTV monitors, some actually need this setting to have a normal near-pixel perfect screen.

To override this setting try setting this value and restarting X.

aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

To enable this functionality through the configuration tools it will not come for a number of releases, since this setting is quite deep under the covers and there are other issues that will need to be resolved to fix this fully.

Please advise if this resolves this issue.
            I was having the same issue on a HD 3850 outputting to a 1080p Panasonic Plasma via HDMI. This option fixed the black borders. Thanks!

Comment

I'm having the same problem with black bars with my Radeon 9600 and a Sony 720p TV.

Code:
              andy@andy-desktop:~$ cat updatescreen
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds1,positionX:0
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds1,positionY:0
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds1,sizeX:1216
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds1,sizeY:680

andy@andy-desktop:~$ sudo ./updatescreen
               Try to Set positionX adjust of monitor tmds1 value : 0 failed.
               It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range.
               Try to Set positionY adjust of monitor tmds1 value : 0 failed.
               Try to Set sizeX adjust of monitor tmds1 value : 1216 failed.
               Try to Set sizeY adjust of monitor tmds1 value : 680 failed.
              andy@andy-desktop:~$
              And when I do:
              Code:
              aticonfig --query-dispattrib=tmds1
              Query monitors tmds1 ,Cap:0x0
              and nothing more. It seems like aticonfig is totally ignoring me.

What am I doing wrong here? I also installed ATI Catalyst Control Center, and it doesn't show or give me an option to set 1216x680, the resolution I have set in XP. Here's a thread on another site:

Hi there, I'm running 8.04 (under Wubi) and I've got it almost working except the display isn't quite full screen on my big Sony TV. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro driving a Sony KLV-32M1 TV. When I start Ubuntu it boots using the VGA output as the primary (showing Wubi and Grub and the progress-bar there, all fine, I don't care), then the login screen shows on the TV. The login screen is too big. It is larger than the LCD monitor by perhaps 20 pixels on an edge. I can barely see the

Any ideas???

Andy-

Comment

The commands provided by Matthew and others are intended for HDMI-connected displays which the driver recognizes as a "TV" rather than a "computer display", ie one where overscan is likely to be on by default.

I don't think we have an HDMI connection option on ay 9600s, do we ? This is probably a different problem.

Just curious, why 1216x680 rather than 1280x720 ?
                Test signature

Comment

The commands provided by Matthew and others are intended for HDMI-connected displays which the driver recognizes as a "TV" rather than a "computer display", ie one where overscan is likely to be on by default.

I don't think we have an HDMI connection option on ay 9600s, do we ? This is probably a different problem.
                  Aaah. Okay. That makes sense now as I'm using the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI cable.

Just curious, why 1216x680 rather than 1280x720 ?
                  I have no idea why, but if I give the TV 1280x720, it switches out of 720p and into 1080i with the image smushed and jittery in the top left. And, for some reason, 1216x680 fills the screen perfectly in Windows XP. I found it by trial & error on Windows.

Any ideas?

Andy-

Comment

How do I set an arbitrary resolution? My 720p screen is a bit wacky in that 1280x720 always overruns the screen (even under Windows XP).

I turned on the drivers that come with Ubuntu and I'm getting desktop effects and all that jazz. I'm using a Sony TV hooked up through the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI cable.

Code:
                    andy@andy-desktop:~$ fglrxinfo
                    display: :0.0  screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

andy@andy-desktop:~$
                    But when I do 1280x720 the screen is too big--I have maybe a dozen pixels cut off on each side. If I resize down to 1152x648 it's too small and there's black bars around the screen. How do I either turn off the overscan (if that's what's happening here) or set an arbitrary resolution using aticonfig? Here's what happens when I try.

Code:
                    andy@andy-desktop:~$ aticonfig --resolution=0,1216x680
                    Error: Label is corrupted
                    error at set screen resolution : screen0 does not exist
                    aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.
                    Andy-

Comment

The native res is often 1366x768, but if you try 1280x720 you might want to disable overscan in your tv settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X