Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Shine With Fedora 12

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Shine With Fedora 12

Intel's Linux graphics driver stack is often at the forefront of X.Org / Mesa innovations, from Intel being the first driver having in-kernel video memory management to being the first driver with mainline kernel mode-setting support to even being the driver that often first receives support for new OpenGL extensions in Mesa. The Intel Linux driver stack can be attributed with many firsts, but continually pushing this driver while putting out quarterly timed releases has led to some pains. Earlier this year in fact the driver stack was rather buggy -- especially in Ubuntu 9.04 -- that impaired many users with stability issues, performance problems, and other headaches. Most of the regressions from overhauling the Linux driver stack have been resolved, but where is the driver stack at now? The Intel stack in Ubuntu 9.10 is performing rather well, but where it's more important is its status within Fedora as more of the bleeding-edge graphics packages are pulled into this release that often don't make it into other distributions until months later when they roll out their next releases. To see where the Intel Linux graphics are at in Fedora 12, we ran the same set of benchmarks in the Fedora 10, 11, and 12 releases with an Intel G43 IGP.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is really unclear how h264 should be faster with a newer intel drivers. You can only use xv for it (no vaapi support yet) and that's more or less the same for every driver.

If you encode mpeg2 full hd or fetch a mpeg2 (interlaced) broadcast from somewhere then you should be able to see a difference with a new mplayer-vaapi. Sadly deinterlace is not available with it yet - but OSD works at least. I have got no script for fedora, but with debian or ubuntu with libdrm >= 2.4 this one should work.

pal/ntsc res is no real test for this as mpeg2 is not really demanding for current cpus.

Comment

I suspect the difference comes from improvements in the memory management code.
      Test signature

Comment

Not so shiny here...

I have a notebook with a GM4500HD chipset and KMS is totally broken. The system freezes just starting X or two or three seconds later. Supplying nomodeset fixes the problem, but then I can't access the virtual consoles. Compiz is broken too.

Nothing new here, we know the first days of a Fedora release are a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post
          I have a notebook with a GM4500HD chipset and KMS is totally broken. The system freezes just starting X or two or three seconds later. Supplying nomodeset fixes the problem, but then I can't access the virtual consoles. Compiz is broken too.

Nothing new here, we know the first days of a Fedora release are a pain in the ass.
          I have a laptop with a GM45 (4500MHD) that works just fine with F12 without any manuall tuning.

KMS, OpenGL, Compiz (no tearing!),OpenGL ontop of compiz, Video playback, Flash all are working fine.

I yet have to find something that is "broken".

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
            I have a laptop with a GM45 (4500MHD) that works just fine with F12 without any manuall tuning.

KMS, OpenGL, Compiz (no tearing!),OpenGL ontop of compiz, Video playback, Flash all are working fine.

I yet have to find something that is "broken".
            Must be something specific of the configuration of my laptop (That's good news).

Thanks
            Last edited by m4rgin4l; 20 November 2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

The Intel performance may shine on F12, but ATi performance is terribly bad (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=539525).

Comment

I'd like to see a n00b comparison of fc12 and ubuntu9.10 . Its been a while since we had that sort of comparison. Not a benchmark per se (but that wont hurt), but more of general use and usability.

Comment

Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post

You have filed a bug report about this, right? If not, now would be a good time, as upstream have removed support for non kernel modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                    The Intel performance may shine on F12, but ATi performance is terribly bad (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=539525).

That's odd. My 200M works beautifully. Must be with specific card families.

Comment

Working...
                    X