Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ARM-Based Handheld Game Consoles Supported By Linux 6.10

Phoronix: More ARM-Based Handheld Game Consoles Supported By Linux 6.10

The various ARM SoC/platform pull requests were already merged today by Linus Torvalds for the in-development Linux 6.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like how the xperia series are all(?) mainlined (within a couple of years after release). Helps the platform live that much longer

Comment

The PocketBook 614 Plus is an e-Ink device. That’s an interesting one. Also that little handheld seems kinda cute actually…

Comment

Massive mainline hardware support merging, please. Even if it's used in a damn e-cigarrete. Let's make Linux run even on toilets!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Massive mainline hardware support merging, please. Even if it's used in a damn e-cigarrete. Let's make Linux run even on toilets!
          When the IoT thing started back in the naughties, it was my, and many others, first thought. Everyone was waiting for the Linux Toaster it was getting so bad, like the 'smart' fridges.

But then I went to Germany via S.Korea and jees fark, their toilets were so complicated it took me fifteen minutes to decide what to push for fear of it coming back at me!
          Hi

Comment

…. Yet still need resources to maintain it. I hear your sentiment, but arguable the toilet of hardware: Itanium has been/is being dropped.

32-bit x86 has been considered for removal despite a resurgence in vintage/nostalgic builds and legacy gaming builds having an uptick.

I do miss the days of your enthusiasm tho.

Comment

Let's put this on the agenda of the next Linux Plumbers Conference.

Comment

I don't get why we need to bloat the linux kernel sources with this rare and low performance stuff nobody even uses, when much more widespread and higher performance IA-64 was removed, ... or perfectly working WiFi drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIrbzn0t4s

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  I don't get why we need to bloat the linux kernel sources with this rare and low performance stuff nobody even uses, when much more widespread and higher performance IA-64 was removed, ... or perfectly working WiFi drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIrbzn0t4s
                  well someone clearly is using these devices enough to push patches upstream.

as for the ancient hardware that gets removed, that's on the users for not speaking up when kernel developers asked "hey is anyone even using a mainline kernel on this hardware?"

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

as for the ancient hardware that gets removed, that's on the users for not speaking up when kernel developers asked "hey is anyone even using a mainline kernel on this hardware?"
                    More like "hey, is anyone to test the new version?"

Comment

Working...
                    X