Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Making Good Progress On HDR, Better Gamescope Integration

Phoronix: KDE Making Good Progress On HDR, Better Gamescope Integration

KDE developer Xaver Hugl has written a third blog post outlining some of the latest HDR and color management improvements that have been readied for KDE's KWin compositor as well as ongoing improvements to Valve's Gamescope compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The blog also contains an explanation of why HDR is blacklisted on Intel drivers:

The Intel driver claims to support both properties for HDR laptop displays, but the implementation is missing entirely (this is being worked on)
    However, for external DisplayPort displays, it actually works on hardware as old as Haswell desktop chipsets if enabled through an environment variable. Can this ban be therefore relaxed so that it only applies to laptop displays?

Comment

Originally posted by patrakov View Post
      The blog also contains an explanation of why HDR is blacklisted on Intel drivers:

However, for external DisplayPort displays, it actually works on hardware as old as Haswell desktop chipsets if enabled through an environment variable. Can this ban be therefore relaxed so that it only applies to laptop displays?
      With DP it doesn't even work for me on AMD, so I don't think it works well on Intel either, given that AMD is basically the holy grail in FOSS land.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        With DP it doesn't even work for me on AMD, so I don't think it works well on Intel either, given that AMD is basically the holy grail in FOSS land.
        Writing this from a Haswell desktop. You can clearly see that the sun in the mpv window is brighter than the white background of Phoronix.

Note: it does need KWIN_DRM_ALLOW_INTEL_COLORSPACE=1 in /etc/environment.
        ​

IMG_20240512_000237.jpg
        Last edited by patrakov; 11 May 2024, 12:07 PM.

Comment

DP from a laptop or a desktop with AMD GPU?

RX 6800 on Fedora 40 (so Plasma 6.0.4 + Linux 6.8) and DisplayPort works well with HDR. Granted, gamescope as a middlemen is not perfect, so the next time I check the progress is when it's not necessary to run it

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

DP from a laptop or a desktop with AMD GPU?
            Desktop with AMD APU (Ryzen 9 5900HX).

Comment

thats a really odd take considering Intel are the ones who have historically been pushing the graphics stack...

Comment

Originally posted by patrakov View Post

Writing this from a Haswell desktop. You can clearly see that the sun in the mpv window is brighter than the white background of Phoronix.

Note: it does need KWIN_DRM_ALLOW_INTEL_COLORSPACE=1 in /etc/environment.
                Better set env vars in .config/environment.d instead, unless it should really be set globally.

Comment

When I tried HDR with NVIDIA's deepcolor mode it produced washed out colours and overexposed whites. I hope this can be improved, I don't know where the blame falls tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                    Better set env vars in .config/environment.d instead, unless it should really be set globally.
                    Unless you have a reason to *not* set them globally, there is no need to not put them in /etc/environment.

Comment

Working...
                    X