Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHIFTphone 8 Preparing Mainline Linux Support Ahead Of Launch

Phoronix: SHIFTphone 8 Preparing Mainline Linux Support Ahead Of Launch

SHIFTphone 8 is the upcoming modular and easy-to-repair smartphone from Germany's SHIFT GmbH. This is the first major SHIFTphone update in four years and there are pending patches providing mainline Linux kernel support for this forthcoming Qualcomm Snapdragon powered modular/upgradeable smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

128 Gb of RAM doesn't seem right. The linked preorder page discusses 8GB and 12 GB options (with "everyone upgraded to 12 GB if a certain number of phones are sold"). The kernel patch description states 12GB

Comment

Anyone have experience with their deliveries outside Germany and the EU? And how much it could cost?

Comment

Nice - I really hope the mainlining goes well. If the cameras will be usable with libcamera (be it hw or sw isp), this will likely be my next phone.

Comment

But Android 14 is already not having all security patched compared to Andoid 15.
          Would love to see something like this with Graphene OS and high security level.​

Comment

Great, but a freaking hole.
            How about remove the front camera hole?

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
              But Android 14 is already not having all security patched compared to Andoid 15.
              Would love to see something like this with Graphene OS and high security level.​
              I dont think android 15 is out yet is it? IIRC its still in developer preview, and then you have development time on top of that. so it will be a while, if it's GKI compatible you can just flash up

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I dont think android 15 is out yet is it? IIRC its still in developer preview, and then you have development time on top of that. so it will be a while, if it's GKI compatible you can just flash up
                Actually you're right. What I meant is slightly different thing and I realize what I wrote back then makes little sense.
                Here is a series of tweets by Graphene OS describing the issue and why Android 15 is involved: https://twitter.com/GrapheneOS/statu...06834932703350

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Great, but a freaking hole.
                  How about remove the front camera hole?
                  It was pretty hard to find suppliers for what we wanted.
                  The punch hole was the best compromise of all the options available to us.

Comment

Originally posted by amartinz View Post

It was pretty hard to find suppliers for what we wanted.
                    The punch hole was the best compromise of all the options available to us.
                    how bad will the GKI experience be? missing camera support, gps, calling etc, any major issues forseen?

Comment

Working...
                    X