No announcement yet.

Microsoft Contributes Windows On ARM64 "aarch64-w64-mingw32" Support To GCC 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Contributes Windows On ARM64 "aarch64-w64-mingw32" Support To GCC 15

Phoronix: Microsoft Contributes Windows On ARM64 "aarch64-w64-mingw32" Support To GCC 15

Microsoft engineers have contributed Windows On ARM64 support to the upstream GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) with the new "aarch64-w64-mingw32" target...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know what this means right?

NVIDIA's ARM based desktop CPU is almost here.

There have been rumors that MS was going to have an ARM build of Windows ready for the launch of NVIDIA's CPU's, and with these contributions to the open source compilers, MS is making sure that popular open source applications like Audacity, Shotcut, AviDemux, Handbrake, ffmpeg, Libre Office and others, can be built to run on this new Windows and new processors.

I can not wait, we may be only a couple of years away from the deprecation of the x86 ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I can not wait, we may be only a couple of years away from the deprecation of the x86 ISA.
      Actually except from Intel's monopoly on x86, who cares - the only extra cost x86 adds is the need for a rather complex decoder and a bit tight memory ordering.

Comment

Is this to enable targeting ARM Windows builds from a Linux machine, i.e. cross compiling?

Comment

There have been rumors that MS was going to have an ARM build of Windows ready for the launch of NVIDIA's CPU's, and with these contributions to the open source compilers, MS is making sure that popular open source applications like Audacity, Shotcut, AviDemux, Handbrake, ffmpeg, Libre Office and others, can be built to run on this new Windows and new processors.

LMAO, you can keep dreaming
          meanwhile in reality, the only WOA push is for the qualcomm/nuvia laptop chip

Comment

Can't we keep x86 until risc-v is ready? It's like moving house, I kind of only want to do it once more before I die.

Comment

So beyond delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                Actually except from Intel's monopoly on x86, who cares - the only extra cost x86 adds is the need for a rather complex decoder and a bit tight memory ordering.
                Intel does not have an x86 monopoly, at least AMD makes fine x86 chips too. And increasingly more patents are expiring.

Comment

Insert obligatory EEE mention despite it not really applying

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Is this to enable targeting ARM Windows builds from a Linux machine, i.e. cross compiling?
                    This is one of the use cases, and you can also choose to use it for Windows native compilation. But everyone at WoA already uses clang and gcc has no advantage.

Comment

Working...
                    X