Linux 6.10 To Support Sound On ASUS ROG 2024 Laptops, Lenovo ThinkPad 13X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 To Support Sound On ASUS ROG 2024 Laptops, Lenovo ThinkPad 13X

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 To Support Sound On ASUS ROG 2024 Laptops, Lenovo ThinkPad 13X

Cirrus engineers have seen a number of patches queued into the Linux sound subsystem's "for-next" branch for enabling audio support on some new laptops with the upcoming Linux 6.10 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sound is all wel land good but what about those stupid microphone arrays? I have a rog 2022, and support for the mic is absolute garbage, meanwhile on windows it's top quality.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Sound is all wel land good but what about those stupid microphone arrays? I have a rog 2022, and support for the mic is absolute garbage, meanwhile on windows it's top quality.
      My ASUS support told me that the boards are designed to be used with WINDOWS. So screw off... use windows armory crate whatever.

Comment

Good on Cirrus and their devs for adding support themselves instead of forcing the community to figure it out and fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post

My ASUS support told me that the boards are designed to be used with WINDOWS. So screw off... use windows armory crate whatever.
          Ugh. Armory Crate is such a steaming pile of crap. Even if I was forced to use Windows on my Strix laptop I wouldn't install it.

Comment

ASUS doesn't make sense in 2024

There's other motherboard brands (especially ASRock) that offer more features and use standard hardware implementation at a lower price point.

ASUS locking away features like CPPC control in cheaper PRIME motherboards, problems with detection of temperature sensors in Linux, broken sound, AMD CPUs melting and Intel overheating (from excessive OOTB voltages with "Asus Multicore Enhancement") are blunt examples of their incompetence

Don't be surprised if your Cryptographic Coprocessor (CCP) fails to load with ASUS. Cant count the number of times I've seen:
            unable to access the device: you might be running a broken BIOS
            Last edited by Kjell; 05 May 2024, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              Good on Cirrus and their devs for adding support themselves instead of forcing the community to figure it out and fix things.
              To me, it seems like they're enabling bad behavior. Why are they letting laptop manufacturers get away with breaking the BIOS and forcing the OS to work around the breakage?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                Yeah I got a ROG Strix G733ZM and the mic has a ton of background static, it sounds awful. I fixed it by reducing microphone volume to 50% and using the Pipewire RNNoise filter (was already in the opensuse repo, werman/noise-suppression-for-voice on github has instructions). Not perfect but much it's usable now.

I discovered later that in Windows it's using an "Asus AI Noise suppression filter" so they're doing the same thing. Cheap hardware using software fixes?​

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post
                  "Asus AI Noise suppression filter"
                  AI is a buzzword for a lot of companies at this point

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Ugh. Armory Crate is such a steaming pile of crap. Even if I was forced to use Windows on my Strix laptop I wouldn't install it.
                    Sure. I would have copied the exact chat. But logging in the ASUS support there is a time limit for chats so they are deleted. Basically they won't provide Linux support or BIOS fixes if the functionality overlaps with that dreaded tool. I will repeat once again, they claim that their boards are designed for Windows usage. You cannot imagine the rage in me having such reply from the support.

ASUS and Linux? Sorry, this is my last ASUS product at home... I can't escape them at work thou.

Contrary I have DIY NAS with Gigabyte board in it. Okay problems, It was slow to fix... half a year chat in support, I had machine check exception errors at each boot, but guess what, they fixed it (BIOS recompile in newer ALASKA tools fixed it, so it is a serious shit to ask for). But they did treat me more less with respect and actually did something.

I had other error with dreaded I225v but that's another story. That's INTEL fault not GB there.

Comment

Working...
                    X