Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueNAS SCALE 24.04 Released For A Wonderful NAS Platform

Phoronix: TrueNAS SCALE 24.04 Released For A Wonderful NAS Platform

The folks at iXsystems have released TrueNAS SCALEE 24.04 as the newest iteration of their Linux-based platform for network attached storage (NAS) devices. TrueNAS SCALE 24.04 brings better performance, new features, and additional hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always tempted to update day 1 despite the obvious risks of doing so

Comment

...they hope it will go well over 50% in favor of SCALE
      Does this mean iXsystems plan to deprecate (and eventually abandon) TrueNAS Core and FreeBSD ?

Edit: I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post
        Does this mean iXsystems plan to deprecate (and eventually abandon) TrueNAS Core and FreeBSD ?

Edit: I hope not.
        From what I have read, sounds like they will support it for a while and even update. But I sensed they would not continue into the FreeBSD 14 series, just maintain for the time being in the 13.x series. I may be wrong, but that was how I interpreted it.

We have a TrueNAS Mini X at work (running TrueNAS - FreeBSD) and have been very happy with it so far. We have set up with a three-way mirror RAID 1 mirror since there is more than enough capacity needed on a single disk for where used, and this gives us extra redundancy. From my past readings and even reaching out to someone a iXsystems before officially becoming the standard ZFS in FreeBSD, it sounds like iXsystems played a big role in helping merge the codebases for Linux and FreeBSD for OpenZFS. So kudos for that. But looks like most of their attention these days may be going towards the Debian (I think) based TrueNAS SCALE.

I just logged onto the NAS, and looks like they provide an upgrade option (I'd have to dig in further before doing anything if I were to do so) to TrueNAS SCALE, including this recent 24.04 (Dragonfish) release. The OS sits on its own mini SATA plug (cannot remember what they call it) flash device, with the data sitting on the RAID array of spinning disks. With the common OpenZFS codebase, I suppose it would be doable to replace the OS "in-place" and just mount the data RAID onto the new system. But again, that would entail some research on my end to see how well might work.

All in all I have had a great experience with iXsystems and their system is pretty slick (and might I add the UI is fantastic.) We will see what happens long-term here.

Comment

Its SATADOM or something like that.

Comment

Yeah there was an article at the end of March that made the rounds on Reddit saying they were putting all research efforts into scale- the Linux based one. Made a lot of FreeBSD people mad and feel hurt that ix Systems would betray them like that. I was surprised it wasn't covered on here in more detail.

Comment

I've been using the Dragonfish 24.04 RC for 3 weeks and it is the best release they have had so far imo for Scale. I plan to update that server today. iX also sponsors (pays) for a lot of the development work at openzfs, like the ability to add disks to pools coming in the next major release. I'm glad from a business perspective they are focused on one distro base, however freebsd ZFS is just faster still. I'm not sure exactly why but TN Core is, even with the latest release, faster. I guess that has to do with the kernel just being highly tuned since they have been working on BSD since freenas days and that became core. I'd like to see that performance gap closed, but they have done really well on this release.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                Its SATADOM or something like that.
                That's is - thanks!

Comment

Been using the RC on a new system for testing deployment; happy with it and I'll update to the release probably next week since it's Golden Week and I'll have fewer distractions.

SCALE Dragonfish has been way less fuss to set up what I want than the CORE releases I've tried in the past.

Comment

I have been using FreeNas and TrueNas Core for years on a homebuilt rig. Has been flawless...but writing is on the wall so I moved to DragonFish RC a couple weeks ago.

Did an in-place upgrade, hardly took anytime at all. Only thing I lost was my jails...which now they sort of have, but I just setup everything again under the apps.

Comment

Working...
                    X