Fedora 40 Beta Released With GNOME 46 & KDE Plasma 6.0 On Wayland Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 40 Beta Released With GNOME 46 & KDE Plasma 6.0 On Wayland Desktops

Phoronix: Fedora 40 Beta Released With GNOME 46 & KDE Plasma 6.0 On Wayland Desktops

The beta release of Fedora 40 is now available for testing ahead of the planned official release next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

seeding already

Comment

Don't forget that KDE Plasma 6.0 On X11 Desktops is included too

Comment

Sliightly off topic but something that hasnt been posted here yet: https://blogs.gnome.org/chergert/202...retrospective/

I am guessing Michael doesnt have this developer on his rss feed of rockstar developers.

Comment

I just installed as a minimal installation. Installed DNF5 and DNF5 Plugins (so I could use Copr), then GDM so I could get a desktop manger. GDM pulled in some basic infrastructure stuff like PipeWire, NetworkManager, etc., and also a bare-bone Gnome shell. I can build up the later to my liking. Installed Sway to have it, same for Hyprland. Of course, there will be the usual Gnome vs. KDE stuff happening in the forums, but I've become more of a Cosmic guy now, so not of much concern to me The later I of course installed via the available "cosmic-epoch" Copr. I'm poking fun with the Cosmic bit, but very much liking it already.

One thing I got out of the minimal installation was LVM+XFS, but would have preferred Btrfs (Workstation install I believe defaults to this.) Since I don't know how Fedora partitions things, I didn't want to manually partition and did the automatic thing. Maybe I can figure this all out for next time. Also would have preferred systemd-boot over Grub, but Grub is what I get.

Time to start poking away at it all!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            At this point you might be better off using mkosi to generate an image of the things you want. It can do that to a gpt+btrfs and systemd-boot that you can then btrfs-send as your install mechanism from say, a usb stick.

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post
              At this point you might be better off using mkosi to generate an image of the things you want. It can do that to a gpt+btrfs and systemd-boot that you can then btrfs-send as your install mechanism from say, a usb stick.
              Thanks for the heads up! Would all be new to me, but happy to dig in and try to learn and figure it out.

** I will add that just now took the same ISO downloaded on a Mac and doing a server installation virtualized with UTM/QEMU. Was able to manual set my partitioning scheme up. So systemd-boot still of course! Just a side note. **
              Last edited by ehansin; 26 March 2024, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                I just installed as a minimal installation. Installed DNF5 and DNF5 Plugins (so I could use Copr), then GDM so I could get a desktop manger. GDM pulled in some basic infrastructure stuff like PipeWire, NetworkManager, etc., and also a bare-bone Gnome shell. I can build up the later to my liking. Installed Sway to have it, same for Hyprland. Of course, there will be the usual Gnome vs. KDE stuff happening in the forums, but I've become more of a Cosmic guy now, so not of much concern to me The later I of course installed via the available "cosmic-epoch" Copr. I'm poking fun with the Cosmic bit, but very much liking it already.

One thing I got out of the minimal installation was LVM+XFS, but would have preferred Btrfs (Workstation install I believe defaults to this.) Since I don't know how Fedora partitions things, I didn't want to manually partition and did the automatic thing. Maybe I can figure this all out for next time. Also would have preferred systemd-boot over Grub, but Grub is what I get.

That sounds like, for some reason, you got the *Server* network install image. Only Server images default to XFS-on-LVM. The "Everything" network install image would've given you btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  Sliightly off topic but something that hasnt been posted here yet: https://blogs.gnome.org/chergert/202...retrospective/

I am guessing Michael doesnt have this developer on his rss feed of rockstar developers.
                  My god. Reading through that makes me envious of performance on the Gnome side, even though I can't stand their desktop model or font rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    The "Everything" network install image would've given you btrfs.
                    Thanks a lot, I had the same need !
                    I'm using a minimal install with sway installed manually and I'm quite happy about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X