Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written Coreutils 0.0.25 With Improved GNU Compatibility

Phoronix: Rust-Written Coreutils 0.0.25 With Improved GNU Compatibility

Out this weekend is a new version of uutils' Coreutils 0.0.25 as the Rust-written drop-in replacement to GNU Coreutils for common utilities found on Linux platforms and other systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this yield any measurable performance improvements over GNU Coreutils?

Comment

Im glad that this is being developed rapidly after the massive funding they got from the sovereign tech fund, Uutils deserved it. I can only hope they keep up the rapid development.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Does this yield any measurable performance improvements over GNU Coreutils?
        i believe there is a speed increase, the main benefit is memory safety however (less bugs), and also less bloat (gnu software is infamously spaghetti code)

Comment

The world's safest language is Coq.

Comment

reposting for unnapproved bot

With the "full uutils" suite, I want to see them all compiled into a single binary, kind of like a psuedo busybox replacement, it's not everything, but it's getting there, they currently have coreutils, findutils, procps, acl, util-linux, bsdutils and ofc diff-utils.

Compiling that into a single binary could be quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
              Im glad that this is being developed rapidly after the massive funding they got from the sovereign tech fund, Uutils deserved it. I can only hope they keep up the rapid development.
              Massive? 100k… You know how much a senior dev earns in the Silicon Valley?
              This funding is crumbs in comparison to what the tech companies have, they use FOSS all day long but they don’t contribute a single tenth of a percent of their budget to help.
              So, don’t think that a third of a single engineer’s yearly salary is a massive funding, it’s decency at best…

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                reposting for unnapproved bot

With the "full uutils" suite, I want to see them all compiled into a single binary, kind of like a psuedo busybox replacement, it's not everything, but it's getting there, they currently have coreutils, findutils, procps, acl, util-linux, bsdutils and ofc diff-utils.

Compiling that into a single binary could be quite nice.
                I am a bit puzzled here https://github.com/uutils/coreutils

"cargo build --release

This command builds the most portable common core set of uutils into a multicall (BusyBox-type) binary, named 'coreutils', on most Rust-supported platforms.
                ​"

or do you mean some other thing?

Comment

As a pragmatist, I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

I am a bit puzzled here https://github.com/uutils/coreutils

"cargo build --release

This command builds the most portable common core set of uutils into a multicall (BusyBox-type) binary, named 'coreutils', on most Rust-supported platforms.
                    ​"

or do you mean some other thing?
                    coreutils is one thing, findutils is another etc. Busybox utilities composes a lot of "utils/tools" suites, from coreutils, to net-tools, procps, and many more. even if you were to combine all of uutils projects into a single binary it wouldn't be a complete busybox replacement, but it would be closer.

Comment

Working...
                    X