Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Has Become Much More Capable At Ray-Tracing, Thanks To Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Has Become Much More Capable At Ray-Tracing, Thanks To Valve

Phoronix: Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Has Become Much More Capable At Ray-Tracing, Thanks To Valve

Friedrich Vock with Valve presented yesterday at XDC 2023 on the Mesa RADV Vulkan driver's ray-tracing performance. Last year at XDC 2022 it was dubbed "the world's slowest raytracer" but thanks to the work done by Valve and others, the RADV ray-tracing performance is now quite capable and also enabled by default since Mesa 23.2. The RADV ray-tracing performance also continues inching closer to the AMDVLK Vulkan performance for that official open-source AMD Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm currently playing Cyperpunk with raytracing enabled on RADV git and it performs really great. 4K + FSR2 auto I yield 84FPS on a 6700XT. Flat frametimes line on medium graphics, some minor bumps on high. Unnoticeable with VRR enabled.

Probably on the current generation of AMD GPUs one can enable raytracing reflections too (which is super demanding).

Comment

Michael

Typo

"expect new t itles to" should be "titles"

Comment

Great progress. I wouldn't waste too much time on Witcher 3 though. The performance was quite bad for me, but I gather that's true on Windows too, even with the beefiest cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
          I'm currently playing Cyperpunk with raytracing enabled on RADV git and it performs really great. 4K + FSR2 auto I yield 84FPS on a 6700XT. Flat frametimes line on medium graphics, some minor bumps on high. Unnoticeable with VRR enabled.

Probably on the current generation of AMD GPUs one can enable raytracing reflections too (which is super demanding).
          According to this, AMDVLK should be even better

Comment

Still room to grow but holy crap, go Valve! Now I really want to get Cyberpunk working haha.

Comment

Friedrich Vock is 17/18 years old. OMG.

62 Posts, 31 Following, 184 Followers · Linux GPU driver dev (RADV)/CS student.
 my opinions are screen space, they reflect my personal view only

Speaks English near perfectly (he's German), works for Valve, a GPU driver coder.

Comment

4K + FSR2 auto I yield 84FPS on a 6700XT.
                That will be performance or ultra performance mode, so in effect your probably rendering at 720p internally and I can assure you in my testing FSR2 does not look great in this game. (When compared to competition at least)

Comment

Michael

Meanwhile explicit sync in Wayland has got a lot of attention recently:

Here is our proposal for adding explicit GPU synchronization to the DRI3 and Present extensions, along with an implementation for Xwayland. While we at NVIDIA may be particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Speaks English near perfectly (he's German), works for Valve, a GPU driver coder.
                    Auch in diesem Jahren haben die Wirtschaftsjunioren NRW wieder ein Coaching für Schülerinnen und Schüler des Jugend forscht Wettbewerbs angeboten. Dieses Mal ging es in zwei Gruppen darum, den jungen Forschenden hilfreiche Tipps zu den Themen Vortragen, Standgestaltung, Rhetorik und Körpersprache mitzugeben. Die Coaches Markus, Hicham, Christian und Katharina durften dafür die beeindruckenden Präsentationen von

At the age of 17, Friedrich Vock won the state competition in the field of "Mathematics / Computer Science" and thus qualified for the national competition. He programmed his own software that uses a technique called "path tracing" to generate realistic images.

Comment

Working...
                    X