Mesa 23.2 Stable Released For Improved Open-Source Vulkan & OpenGL Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.2 Stable Released For Improved Open-Source Vulkan & OpenGL Drivers

Phoronix: Mesa 23.2 Stable Released For Improved Open-Source Vulkan & OpenGL Drivers

After being delayed by many weeks, Mesa 23.2 has been released as the quarterly feature release for this collection of open-source OpenGL and Vulkan drivers used by AMD Radeon, Intel graphics, Apple Silicon, Qualcomm Adreno (Freedreno), Nouveau (open-source NVIDIA), Broadcom / Raspberry Pi, Arm Mali and other hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see that Ubuntu 23.10 picked it up already. They already had rc4 so it's not a big change.
    Last edited by peterdk; 29 September 2023, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I updated and my desktop acts wonky; X and Wayland. KDE doesn't display title bars, random characters of text aren't appearing, the backgrounds of some system elements look like a TV on a white noise channel. I'd hold off until 23.1.2. I'm hoping it's just a cachyos packaging issue...6700 XT for the curious.

EDIT: If anyone is curious, downgrading Mesa back to 23.1.8 fixed everything.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 29 September 2023, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Mesa 23.3 as the Q4 feature release will already be branching later in August
        Michael Did you mean October?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Michael Did you mean October?
          Yep thanks!
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I updated and my desktop acts wonky; X and Wayland. KDE doesn't display title bars, random characters of text aren't appearing, the backgrounds of some system elements look like a TV on a white noise channel. I'd hold off until 23.1.2. I'm hoping it's just a cachyos packaging issue...6700 XT for the curious.

Might wanna figure out doin’ a bug report there

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Something breaks in KDE. More at 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Might wanna figure out doin’ a bug report there
                I don't think it's a Mesa bug since it only affects KDE programs and KWin (titlebars and window decorations). Non-KDE Qt programs, GTK, Electron, etc all work just fine.

Mesa 23.1 to 23.2 definitely triggers the bug, but it's only KDE stuff that's affected.

ngraham Where would I report this to KDE at? Specifically, which one of the hundreds of subprojects would a Mesa update that causes random font corruption, login picture glitches, white noise in tooltip backgrounds, etc go? Not gonna lie, I get overwhelmed with all the options on bugs.kde.org.

Should I post something over at Mesa as well?

Comment

It can be a mesa bug and only affect KDE software. This would happen if, for example, only the KDE software is using the hardware acceleration that Mesa provides, whereas the other stuff is using software rendering.

Ths issue should be reported to the Mesa developers. See https://docs.mesa3d.org/bugs.html and then cc `@zamundaa` on the ticket so he sees it.

Comment

Michael, are you sure 23.2.1 was released officialy? There are no release notes anywhere (site or mailing list). 23.1.9 on the other hand has release notes and announcement in the regular places.

Comment

Working...
                    X