Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6-rc2 Released - 32 Years Since Linux 0.01 Released

Phoronix: Linux 6.6-rc2 Released - 32 Years Since Linux 0.01 Released

Linus Torvalds released Linux 6.6-rc2 today and it also happens to be 32 years to the day since he introduced the Linux 0.01 kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am curious how much of the original code remains? Especially because no 80386 support remains in Linux? No code remains from pure BSD in any of the BSDs cause AT&T made them purge it all in the 90s. I guess the only spot you may see some original Unix code would be in HP-UX or Solaris? Maybe AIX but it is my understanding that AIX was late to the party?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      I am curious how much of the original code remains? Especially because no 80386 support remains in Linux? No code remains from pure BSD in any of the BSDs cause AT&T made them purge it all in the 90s. I guess the only spot you may see some original Unix code would be in HP-UX or Solaris? Maybe AIX but it is my understanding that AIX was late to the party?
      If you could somehow get the full git history (iirc earliest that is at least easily accessible is from 2.6.12) then it would just be a matter of doing a `git blame` on every file

Comment

buffer heads were a 0.01 feature. The newest filesystems avoid them, but it's still there for things like ext4 and all the accessory filesystems like fat/iso9660, etc.

of course, the buffer cache has long since been merged with the page cache, so cannot really say the code is still there exactly.

Linus had a tendency to write things in assembler when c was just as good, so I suspect the only code that will be in the modern kernel would be headers or function signatures, which have probably all been added to over the years.

Comment

I am slightly saddened by the thought that it is unlikely (I've checked the actuarial tables) that I will still be around when Linux hits 26 years.

But I sincerely hope that Linux is still going from strength to strength then.

Comment

Little did he know his little precious creature was going to change our world just a few years later...

Comment

In linux 6.6 when doing vfio , loading kernel framebuffer again works !! Was bugged since kernel 6.0

Comment

Working...
              X