Ubuntu Talks Up Rust Kernel Programming Potential With Ubuntu 23.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Talks Up Rust Kernel Programming Potential With Ubuntu 23.04

Phoronix: Ubuntu Talks Up Rust Kernel Programming Potential With Ubuntu 23.04

Ubuntu 23.04 is being talked up for how it can aide developers that want to begin programming with Rust code for Linux kernel modules. It's possible to get started with Rust kernel development on Ubuntu 23.04 thanks to its generic kernel having the necessary kernel configuration, but ultimately it's still in an early state and there isn't much to do with the stock kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Discord needs to fix their code parser

Comment

I already see fleets of kernel developers using Ubuntu.

Comment

no offense Michael but they actually advertise Ubuntu using Rust Kernel Programming and Michael just did and advertise to ubuntu

Comment

It would be really interesting to hear from tradicional Linux module developers that try the Rust support for some time and share their experience.

Comment

As I already wrote at
            Phoronix: New AMD Ryzen CPUs, Intel Sapphire Rapids, Rust Adoption & More In Q1 During the first quarter of 2023 on Phoronix I wrote 708 original news articles pertaining to Linux, open-source, and hardware. That was complemented by another 45 Linux hardware reviews / multi-page featured articles for the quarter. Here is a

I would prefer Zig over Rust.

With Rust the Linux kernel will become fat and slow.
            And it will be lesser secure then with Zig.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
              As I already wrote at
              Phoronix: New AMD Ryzen CPUs, Intel Sapphire Rapids, Rust Adoption & More In Q1 During the first quarter of 2023 on Phoronix I wrote 708 original news articles pertaining to Linux, open-source, and hardware. That was complemented by another 45 Linux hardware reviews / multi-page featured articles for the quarter. Here is a

There are plenty of Rust developers and how many are there Zig devs? One? If Zig receives some hype and people get interested in it sure why not, but don't bring dead languages into the kernel. It costs a lot of manpower to support with zero outcome.

Comment

As I already wrote at

Is this a 1. April joke?! Nothing in Rust is fat or slow and above all not insecure. Zig might be fast, but there are no security checks at compile time like in Rust!

Comment

​Zig has managed to do something truly unique. It has convinced me that JavaScript actually has pretty decent syntax in comparison. It's truly astounding that someone, presumably with some amount of experience, looked at C and came to the conclusion that
                  Code:
                  const std = @import("std");

pub fn main() !void
                  {
                  const stdout = std.io.getStdOut().writer();
                  try stdout.print("Hello, {s}!\n", .{"world"});
                  }
                  was an improvement

Comment

Strange question maybe, but does anyone know what the monospaced font is in the code image in the posting? Looks nice, have issues with some of them out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X