EXT4 Scores A Nice Direct I/O Performance Improvement With Linux 6.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Scores A Nice Direct I/O Performance Improvement With Linux 6.3

Phoronix: EXT4 Scores A Nice Direct I/O Performance Improvement With Linux 6.3

With the EXT4 file-system being quite mature at this stage, with many kernel cycles these days this widely-used file-system just sees bug fixes and other minor work. But for the newly-opened Linux 6.3 cycle, EXT4 is seeing a nice performance boost under certain conditions with direct I/O...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, since I love my data and hearing such news makes me nervous, how about leaving EXT4 alone and forking it to engage on such experimental gains with much more freedom? You can call it EXT5, release it to the schm... I mean, early adopters, and when the dust had settle down, us old farts can move to it in our own time.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 28 February 2023, 08:11 AM. Reason: the one who have large amounts of data is the one living in fear...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Well, since I love my data and hearing such news makes me nervous, how about leaving EXT4 alone and forking it to engage on such experimental gains with much more freedom? You can call it EXT5, release it to the schm... I mean, early adopters, and when the dust had settle down, us old farts can move to it in our own time.
      If you are concerned about stability you should probably consider running an LTS kernel instead of complain about innovation.

Comment

If you don't regularly backup, no FS, no matter how mature it is, is safe. Everything breaks. Except for the proton - that has to be yet observed.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

If you are concerned about stability you should probably consider running an LTS kernel instead of complain about innovation.
          I was not complaining, since I'm not against innovation. I was expressing my concerns, while offering a alternative. You can call it "constructive criticism" if it appease you. EXT4 is a critical piece of software for everybody, not only me.

Also, I do use a LTS kernel.

Comment

I was not complaining, since I'm not against innovation. I was expressing my concerns, while offering a alternative. You can call it "constructive criticism" if it appease you. EXT4 is a critical piece of software for everybody, not only me.

the whole Linux kernel is a critical piece of software in pretty much every sector of our lives, not only ext4, still it has to advance.

the alternative you propose already exists: it's mainline kernel vs longterms.

Forking a filesystem for whatever minor or major improvement is totally unfeasible: we would have ext89 by now, and 89 branch to mantain.

Comment

The patch itself is only 10 effective codeline changes in one single file. Very safe improvement and pretty easy to be reviewed.

Comment

Too much "experts" here...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Too much "experts" here...
                  is that before your post or after it?

Comment

Like this news!

Comment

Working...
                    X