No announcement yet.

LLVM/Clang 14 Ends Feature Development With Better C++20 Support, Armv9 Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang 14 Ends Feature Development With Better C++20 Support, Armv9 Added

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang 14 Ends Feature Development With Better C++20 Support, Armv9 Added

LLVM release manager Tom Stellard has branched the LLVM 14.0 code and that of its sub-projects like Clang within the mono repository. As such, LLVM 14.0 feature development is now over with the main Git branch working towards what will become LLVM 15.0 later this calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would find it great if multithreaded/multiprocess compilation took some steam.

Waw Stellard is both maintainer of LLVM and Fedora oO

Comment

Michael Missed a big one, LLVM 14 now includes Facebook's BOLT.

Comment

LLVM is also moving forward with it's own libc implementation which will be truly an amazing thing: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/main/libc

Will allow to build a single cross toolchain for many targets without a dreaded glibc dependency (which implicitly assumes gcc).
        Right now creating a cross toolchain is still a PITA (even with a great project like crosstool-ng) mainly due to glibc binary compatibility issues (library version, kernel version, compiler version) and the need to create a separate one for each architecture.

Comment

Nothing new here, GCC is still better and it defaulted to DWARF5 in v11 a year ago.

Comment

Think OpenBSD 7.1 is going to have to ship with LLVM 13.0 with 14.0 not releasing till March and the next OpenBSD release normally comes out in April or May. FreeBSD 13.1 depending on its release schedule that far as I know hasn't been announced yet could pick up 14.0 LLVM.

Comment

Unfortunately, compiling LLVM-git with a previous but recent LLVM-git snapshot bricked my system for a couple times now during the last week. The systems boots with a black screen and the monitor goes to sleep (and yes, I made sure to compile libdrm, mesa against the newer version). Compiling LLVM-git with the system's LLVM/Clang-13 compiler went fine though without breaking the world.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                Think OpenBSD 7.1 is going to have to ship with LLVM 13.0 with 14.0 not releasing till March and the next OpenBSD release normally comes out in April or May. FreeBSD 13.1 depending on its release schedule that far as I know hasn't been announced yet could pick up 14.0 LLVM.
                It has been announced and that's not how things work.

Comment

Unfortunately LLVM is lagging behind GCC and MSVC with regard to C++ support. See https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
                    Unfortunately LLVM is lagging behind GCC and MSVC with regard to C++ support. See https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support
                    Yes, clangd is a great tool, but it still doesn't recognise many examples of valid C++20 code.

Comment

Working...
                    X