No announcement yet.

FWUPD 1.7 Released With Supporting More Hardware For Firmware Updates On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD 1.7 Released With Supporting More Hardware For Firmware Updates On Linux

Phoronix: FWUPD 1.7 Released With Supporting More Hardware For Firmware Updates On Linux

FWUPD and the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) continue to serve as a resounding open-source success for allowing an increasing amount of hardware to support firmware updates on Linux from system/motherboard UEFI to disk drives and various peripherals. LVFS is now serving up more than two million firmware downloads a month while FWUPD 1.7 is out today with supporting firmware updates on even more hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most of all I want PC motherboard support from Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

Comment

Logitech Bolt peripherals/receivers/radio products
      Interesting! First time I've heard of Bolt. Apparently it's kind of similar to Unifying - the differences being it's based on Bluetooth, targeted for enterprise and more expensive. The selection of supported devices is smaller, but all those models are just Unifying models changed to use Bolt..
      Last edited by Black_Fox; 06 October 2021, 06:27 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

My next motherboard will be from the company supporting updates via FWUPD. Wonder, who will be the first to jump on that train.

Comment

I have to wonder when we'll see the first malware rolled out via fwupd. It's just too tempting a target for hackers to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            I have to wonder when we'll see the first malware rolled out via fwupd.
            It's already been done. https://fwupd.org/downloads/4583b6a0...9cad-eicar.cab

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post
              .cab

::shutters::

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                .cab
                Not ideal for me either, but a pragmatic choice so the vendors can upload the same deliverable to the LVFS as to Windows Update.

Comment

Not ideal for me either, but a pragmatic choice so the vendors can upload the same deliverable to the LVFS as to Windows Update.
                  Fair. 👍

Comment

what device is that for? Did they steal the manufacturer's key or something? If it's known to be malware, why is it still up? Some explanation (or a link to one) would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X