Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt Company Details The Graphics Stack Changes With Qt 6.0

Phoronix: The Qt Company Details The Graphics Stack Changes With Qt 6.0

If all goes well Qt 6.0 will make its official debut in December. One of the areas much talked about for Qt 6 development has been the graphics architecture changes and better supporting more APIs besides OpenGL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gonna ignore them until they change the name. Qt Company sounds sooooooo retarded. Imagine Whirpool being called Washing Machine Company. Audi could be "Car Company". Exectrolux is the Fridge Company. WT flying F. Even Mozilla isn't The Firefox Company.

Comment

Well, Krita devs seem unhappy with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
        Well, Krita devs seem unhappy with this.
        Any particular reason? I mean, hiding all APIs behind a common facade looks like the smart thing to do.
        Or is this more about some modules being removed from Qt, to be reintroduced later?

Comment

The QRhi API is private, so that cannot be used. And Angle is dropped, so we'd be back to OpenGL on Windows, and the OpenGL drivers for most GPU's on Windows are so bad that that means endless crash reports.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post
            The QRhi API is private, so that cannot be used. And Angle is dropped, so we'd be back to OpenGL on Windows, and the OpenGL drivers for most GPU's on Windows are so bad that that means endless crash reports.
            Hm, I don't know the first thing about Qt, but if QRhi is private, there should be some other way of interacting with it. Because I don't think their intention is to have you write OpenGL, run it on top of QRhi only to go back to OpenGL.
            Or just go Vulkan.
            Or pester the devs to open up QRhi.

But I get it, it's not so peachy.

PS I was going to ask you which are the GPUs that have decent OpenGL drivers, but I've decided against derailing the thread already

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Or pester the devs to open up QRhi.
              If there is a specific need for access to a feature/function/capability the Qt Company has historically responded to their customer(s) requirements (they are in the business of keeping their customers happy). So those customers should certainly open cases with their Qt support engineer as they see issues with their porting efforts so that those issues can be addressed in future updates.

And historically some of the private APIs are (sort of) accessible if one includes the appropriate private development headers, but that comes at a potentially high price regarding lack of ongoing support, which most companies using the toolkit would prefer to avoid, but occasionally you do what you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Gonna ignore them until they change the name. Qt Company sounds sooooooo retarded. Imagine Whirpool being called Washing Machine Company. Audi could be "Car Company". Exectrolux is the Fridge Company. WT flying F. Even Mozilla isn't The Firefox Company.
                but... Volkswagen is literally "people's car"

Comment

I hope that Qt 6.0 enforces hardware acceleration by default... (unlike Qt 5 where if you don't use Qt Quick then it is all done in software)
                  This way KDE Plasma 6 gets accelerated UI rendering for free.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    but... Volkswagen is literally "people's car"
                    And BMW is Motor Works from Bavaria (or smth like that).

Comment

Working...
                    X