Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Is Working On Vulkan Over CPUs With SwiftShader

Phoronix: Google Is Working On Vulkan Over CPUs With SwiftShader

The 2018 Vulkan Developer Day event was held earlier this week at the Ubisoft offices in Montreal, Canada...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the last commit to the vulkan-prototype branch is 8 months or so ago, not sure how agressively they are pursuing this at least in public.

Comment

Is it just me or is their vision for web really fragmented?

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has something to do with how horrible unstable shit are mobile drivers, especially for Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I have a sneaking suspicion that this has something to do with how horrible unstable shit are mobile drivers, especially for Vulkan.
          Probably.

Google is not keeping their words.

They said Project Treble , turns out as a big flop.

They said ( actually Khronos chairman said ) Vulkan drivers will be updated via Play Store . That didn't happen too.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Probably.

Google is not keeping their words.

[..]
            yeah, but do we blame google or the phone manufacturers? Eventually Google might force the use of treble by having it as a part of the validation program: Use treble or don't get google play services. Well, at least I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

yeah, but do we blame google or the phone manufacturers? Eventually Google might force the use of treble by having it as a part of the validation program: Use treble or don't get google play services. Well, at least I hope so.
              Looks like they're not forcing enough.

As long as they get money from phones advertised with Android , they're really raking their time.

Comment

In what way? Are manufacturers deciding to ship Android 7 on new devices instead of the 8?

Afaik devices that get upgraded aren't being ported to Treble, but that was 100% expected.

They said ( actually Khronos chairman said ) Vulkan drivers will be updated via Play Store . That didn't happen too.
                That's a feature for Project Treble devices (i.e. Android 8 and later)
                On Google devices they are in an app, for example https://www.xda-developers.com/proje...phics-drivers/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  In what way? Are manufacturers deciding to ship Android 7 on new devices instead of the 8?

Afaik devices that get upgraded aren't being ported to Treble, but that was 100% expected.

That's a feature for Project Treble devices (i.e. Android 8 and later)
                  On Google devices they are in an app, for example https://www.xda-developers.com/proje...phics-drivers/
                  No actually. Devices came with 8.0 are also not supporting it. Problem with it , it is left device manufacturers decision.

Since profit per device is much more lower on Android scene , if you compare it to Apple ; device manufacturers won't take the Treble road. After all , they just want to sell more devices every year and leaving existing devices non-updated is a big boost to new devices.

That is the reason why Treble didn't take off and never will.

Comment

No actually. Devices came with 8.0 are also not supporting it. Problem with it , it is left device manufacturers decision.
                    I have not been following this closely, but I am surprised by this as that was supposed to be the whole purpose? Are there any major manufacturers doing this? (Maybe we can create a blacklist).

Comment

Working...
                    X