Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally A Discussion Is Back Concerning FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync / VRR DRM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally A Discussion Is Back Concerning FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync / VRR DRM Support

Phoronix: Finally A Discussion Is Back Concerning FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync / VRR DRM Support

While AMD has plumbed in FreeSync variable-rate refresh support with their AMDGPU DC display code stack, it's not yet all happy on the open-source mainline kernel as the missing piece has been over having a unified API for the Direct Rendering Manager drivers that can be used for supporting Free-Sync or the VESA-approved AdaptiveSync or HDMI VRR (Variable Refresh Rate). The discussion over having this common API for DRM drivers is back to being discussed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    beneficial for multi-montior setups

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      That target frame duration interface could be used for user-space to tell the driver to send a new frame to the driver as soon as it's ready or rather if there is a desired frame duration every so many nano-seconds.
      I think this is a bit confusing. So, which driver is sending a frame and which one is receiving it? Surely it's not the same (kernel) driver, right? I would guess user space driver (Mesa or DDX?) is sending it to kernel space but I may be wrong.

Comment

Interesting. There is also an Intel developer in this discussion. Does this mean they finally adopt FreeSync and VRR?

Also I like a lot that both the FreeSync and its implementation over HDMI (VRR) are being discussed as one.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Interesting. There is also an Intel developer in this discussion. Does this mean they finally adopt FreeSync and VRR?

Also I like a lot that both the FreeSync and its implementation over HDMI (VRR) are being discussed as one.
          They will adopt VRR / adaptive sync I have no doubt.

Freesync is AMD's prop solution to utilise adaptive sync tech with their GPU's/APU's

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

yes they will, but only with 10nm products

Comment

i want freesync working on linux ASAP

Comment

I wonder if nouveau will support it... That would be cool because the proprietary driver of nvidia cannot.

Comment

It seems discussion goes in a way like... "we are waiting for some Croteam's research video"

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                    I wonder if nouveau will support it... That would be cool because the proprietary driver of nvidia cannot.
                    nvidia supporting freesync but only on linux will make for some nice memes

Comment

Working...
                    X