Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally A Discussion Is Back Concerning FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync / VRR DRM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    I think this is a bit confusing. So, which driver is sending a frame and which one is receiving it? Surely it's not the same (kernel) driver, right? I would guess user space driver (Mesa or DDX?) is sending it to kernel space but I may be wrong.
    Pretty sure the second "driver" is actually a "display"

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
      Pretty sure the second "driver" is actually a "display"
      You are probably right. That didn't come to my mind.

Comment

As someone who has already had the hardware for years and experienced Freesync on Windows, I should say that the wait is a little bit annoying but at the same time I think it's great that they are collaborating and that it's important it's not rushed so that the end result is a good and future proof implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          As someone who has already had the hardware for years and experienced Freesync on Windows, I should say that the wait is a little bit annoying but at the same time I think it's great that they are collaborating and that it's important it's not rushed so that the end result is a good and future proof implementation.
          You can already use freesync on the unified driver stack. This discussion is pertaining to common upstream DRM support.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            I wonder if nouveau will support it...
            it has to be supported by hardware first. nvidia hardware does not support it. don't buy nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              it has to be supported by hardware first. nvidia hardware does not support it. don't buy nvidia
              Nvidia hardware is very well capable of varibable refresh rates. They only limit it to external G-Sync displays because they earn extra money with them. However, they also support "G-Sync" in notebooks that don't have the actual G-Sync module but are driven by regular embedded DisplayPort, which means their GPUs would in fact be capable of supporting Adaptive Sync.
              I'd be really happy if Nouveau devs would jump into this discussion and eventually implement Adaptive Sync for Nouveau. It would be a huge punch in Nvidia's face.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

nvidia supporting freesync but only on linux will make for some nice memes
                Wouldn't a better punch be not to buy their products?

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post

Wouldn't a better punch be not to buy their products?
                  That'd be more like slow chinese water torture than a punch in the face.

Comment

This developer, Manasi Navare, already has some experimental patches he is about ready to send out.
                    The gender is wrong, Michael. But it's not your fault. I can understand that it can be hard to guess the gender of foreign names.
                    Last edited by arunbupathy; 11 April 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post

The gender is wrong, Michael. But it's not your fault. I can understand that it can be hard to guess the gender of foreign names.
                      Fixed, thanks.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X