Tweaking Your Fedora Installation For Maximum Productivity & Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Shit.... From booting the live media to finish, I'm pretty sure gentoo installs are simpler than this....
    Gentoo is indeed much more simple than the vast majority of distributions if you need strong personalizations.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Gentoo is indeed much more simple than the vast majority of distributions if you need strong personalizations.

By that same logic though wouldn't Arch be even simpler since you have the same install procedure minus compiling?
      Last edited by Ericg; 16 June 2015, 11:24 AM.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

combined with a fedora article being released every 5min it screams "fedora is the best distro there is and everyone should use it", despite *buntu being way more popular

idk why phoronix should become a newbie tutorial
        even less a marketing site for a distro
        Author writes the articles gens, both Michael and I are more than happy to take suggestions for articles to write, but at the end of the day its he and I who do the work-- even more so him. Both of us have said, repeatedly, that user submitted articles are totally fine. If you want to see more Ubuntu articles then come up with an idea, write it, submit it, and Michael will vet it.

Frankly, Ubuntu gets a fair amount of coverage just because its the default benchmark target that Michael uses, unless something has changed. The only reason you're seeing more Fedora articles now is because Fedora and Arch are my preferred distros.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
          im right now in the process of downloading rawhide.. so I appreciate it.

Let me know if anything breaks on rawhide, gotwig, I used F22 as my base for this.

Comment

That was a truly well written and informative article, good job Ericg. Wish there were more like that one on phoronix. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

IOW you accuse Phoronix of using the wrong advertising target. You'd rather see the same thing on Ubuntu.
              Isle Of Wight i came to phoronix a long time ago for the benchmarks and stayed years later because of the interesting articles and links in them related to the kernel and linux programs
              i learned a lot about linux from them

"how to install flash on fedora" is not about linux, its only about fedora
              if it was "how to install flash on ubuntu" id say the same

PS you can go tweak you fedora if you want, ofc
              Last edited by gens; 16 June 2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                That was a truly well written and informative article, good job Ericg. Wish there were more like that one on phoronix. Keep it up!
                Thank you, Kmare, I realized after the fact how sparse the article seems without the screenshots in it. So the article will be updated later today to include a few more visuals. Hopefully that will make it look a bit nicer.

You say you wish there were more similar articles bug any requests? Fedora and Arch are my daily drivers but I wouldn't be against keeping an Ubuntu image laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

By that same logic though wouldn't Arch be even simpler since you have the same install procedure minus compiling?
                  Well, I consider it more along the lines of whether Arch or Gentoo is more familiar to you. It just seems to me that Gentoo installs are simpler probably because that is what I am most familiar with. An Arch user can probably say the same thing and be equally valid.
                  Last edited by duby229; 16 June 2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Good article, almost exactly the same thing I do. The only thing I would like to add is maybe infinality. Even though it's not maintained anymore (the last official release was for fc19), it still provides the best font rendering experience on Linux. If one doesn't want to mess with the configuration of infinalty at the very least they should use freetype-freeworld from rpmfusion for the sub-pixel rendering support.

Comment

Steam doesn't work fully without deleting some shared libraries. You need to do this each time steam updates or it fails to run, I'm still waiting for ARK Survival Evolved to come on Linux this month, it works great in Windows 8.1 .. we'll see how the Linux stack w/ OpenGL handles this massive game

Comment

Working...
                      X