Tweaking Your Fedora Installation For Maximum Productivity & Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking Your Fedora Installation For Maximum Productivity & Features

Phoronix: Tweaking Your Fedora Installation For Maximum Productivity & Features

No Linux distribution is absolutely perfect for any and all use cases. Some use older software than the user would prefer, some lack the polish that comes with a distribution integrating all the pieces together, some projects might be heading down a direction that the user disagrees with. Many users end up finding themselves in the arms of the Fedora Project or its cousin the CentOS Project, as it provides the tri-fecta of up-to-date software, distribution level integration, and tweak-ability that Linux users so often enjoy.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is there still a transition going on or is it not supposed to exist.... the fc23 (i.e. rawhide) repo for RPM fusion? it took a while for fc22 to catch up, but for rawhide its nowhere to be seen. Does anyone have any information on this? would appreciate it. thx

Comment

watta commercial of an article
      makes me sick

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
        makes me sick
        Care to elaborate? Contains quite nice hints imo.

Comment

makes me sick

Yeah, care to expand, gens? I said from day one that I would welcome criticism, as long as it was specific and constructive.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

su -c 'yum install --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm'
            Really should get away from recommending users to be using the --nogpgcheck flag.

What is the proper way of getting RPM Fusion packages on the system and then verifying the keys? I just do:

Code:
            sudo dnf install http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-22.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-22.noarch.rpm
            And then compare the GPG key once I install something from the repo (dnf prompts me to verify the key).

Comment

Shit.... From booting the live media to finish, I'm pretty sure gentoo installs are simpler than this....

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Yeah, care to expand, gens? I said from day one that I would welcome criticism, as long as it was specific and constructive.
                i don't remember a distro specific newbie help article on phoronix ever been written
                closest is Michael saying what he likes/dislikes about the distro he uses

maybe i have overreacted a bit, and this is what got me

"Many users end up finding themselves in the arms of the Fedora Project or its cousin the CentOS Project, as it provides the tri-fecta of up-to-date software, distribution level integration, and tweak-ability that Linux users so often enjoy."

*buntu offers the same, even more
                centos and up-to-date are contrary terms
                hell dozens of other distros fall into this category

combined with a fedora article being released every 5min it screams "fedora is the best distro there is and everyone should use it", despite *buntu being way more popular

idk why phoronix should become a newbie tutorial
                even less a marketing site for a distro

Comment

combined with a fedora article being released every 5min it screams "fedora is the best distro there is and everyone should use it", despite *buntu being way more popular
                  IOW you accuse Phoronix of using the wrong advertising target. You'd rather see the same thing on Ubuntu.

Comment

im right now in the process of downloading rawhide.. so I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X