The S3TC Patent Finally Expires Next Week - S3 Texture Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The S3TC Patent Finally Expires Next Week - S3 Texture Compression

Phoronix: The S3TC Patent Finally Expires Next Week - S3 Texture Compression

If you need an extra reason to celebrate this weekend, next week the notorious S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) patent is set to expire!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happens right when Mesa is becoming irrelevant, as AMD no longer sells video cards, and Intel IGPs are as shitty as always.

Comment

This is why 20 years for software patents is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Mesa is becoming irrelevant, as AMD no longer sells video cards
        What are you talking about?

Intel IGPs are as shitty as always.
        Think of the people that can't afford a graphics card, or laptop users?
        Last edited by tildearrow; 29 September 2017, 06:15 PM. Reason: about Intel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What are you talking about?

Think of the people that can't afford a graphics card, or laptop users?
          Don't feed the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
            This is why 20 years for software patents is too long.
            But think of the children of the lawy..I mean inventors! They've worked so hard so they totally deserve billions. Why do you hate the rich?

Comment

Good. I've been knowingly waiting for this for over a decade...

Comment

Someone please explain how this effects any current scenario real world situation for the better?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Someone please explain how this effects any current scenario real world situation for the better?
                  It can be included by default in some distros which it is not present, giving better out-of-the-box experience.

Comment

I remember when S3 Savage video cards came out. I think I had the Savage 4 from Diamond.. swapped from a 3Dfx Voodoo because the new integrated 2D+3D chip from S3 was a little ahead of 3Dfx for its price. S3TC was a big thing then because it got accepted into DirectX and it really let things look nice for the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X