Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix 8.1 Now Available For A Retro Linux Experience In 2017

Phoronix: Knoppix 8.1 Now Available For A Retro Linux Experience In 2017

Knoppix 8.1 is now available although no release announcement has yet to hit the wire. As it's been some years since last trying out Knoppix, I decided to fire up this new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you wrote "While Knoppix 8.1 may seem a bit quirky among today's Linux distributions, I still love it for recalling very fond memories of the past.".
    Not trying to start a flame ware, but would you please mind explaining what exactly seems a bit quirky?!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Yep, a Linux distribution in 2017 still making use of Compiz!
      What does that mean? He does not know, Ubuntu, most used Linux distribution, is still using it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
        What does that mean? He does not know, Ubuntu, most used Linux distribution, is still using it?
        I should clarify... With the wobbly windows by default and all the other effects.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The article missed to mention one of Knoppix' greatest features: Not using systemd for startup

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I should clarify... With the wobbly windows by default and all the other effects.
            Hey, wobbly windows are truly timeless!

They are available in KDE5 as well (ported by the KWin Team, no third party plugin!). Just saying, in case there are any Unity users afraid of losing that feature once Ubuntu drops Unity

Comment

Compiz wobbly windows and desktop cube are the best! I <3 them. I'm not sure how a distro running kernel 4.12 is providing a "vintage experience" however. Seems pretty modern to me. IMO Knoppix is the best live distro out there. It's a really polished and feature complete distro. I use it at work when I need some kind of live media to recover a broken server or something like that.

Comment

Good old memories :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  The article missed to mention one of Knoppix' greatest features: Not using systemd for startup
                  try harder, dull trolling

Comment

Knoppix was the first ever Linux distro that I used - and unintentionally.

Comment

Working...
                    X