Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Making Progress On Server-Side GLVND: Different Drivers For Different X Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Making Progress On Server-Side GLVND: Different Drivers For Different X Screens

Phoronix: NVIDIA Making Progress On Server-Side GLVND: Different Drivers For Different X Screens

While NVIDIA isn't doing much to help out Nouveau, at least the company is contributing to the open-source Linux graphics ecosystem in other ways. In addition to presenting at XDC2017 this week on the Unix device memory allocator API and DeepColor / HDR support, they also presented on server-side GLVND...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, hopefully this means my Razer laptop can run multihead with an nvidia card while the intel internal screen is running. Hotswap GPUs/displays is important.

Comment

no, glvnd is not a contribution to open source, since no opensource driver needs it. it is only needed by nvidia proprietary shit

Comment

Nvidia: What about making progress on Nvidia Optimus support instead of the current available crap?

About Nvidia...

(if you didn't see that video, please watch it. It's A LOT MORE THAN SAYING "FUCK YOU" to "NVIDIA".)

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

always the same story, nvidia optimus is working well in ubuntu, the big problem is this fixed and not dynamic. No more tearing, with intel the nvidia is off, with nvidia everything works well now

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            always the same story, nvidia optimus is working well in ubuntu, the big problem is this fixed and not dynamic. No more tearing, with intel the nvidia is off, with nvidia everything works well now
            Please don't lie, it's a mess. It doesn't work so good and even not only that, but it gives worse performance than Microsoft Windows and more fails.

Comment

Windows has been able to use multiple GPUs to drive different displays for a decade now, and do it as an extended desktop.

Remember when Linux used to be on the cutting edge? That was awhile ago.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Windows has been able to use multiple GPUs to drive different displays for a decade now, and do it as an extended desktop.

Remember when Linux used to be on the cutting edge? That was awhile ago.
                Will Linux be able to be cutting edge again? I think only by radically changing everything and stop the archaicism of current days...

Comment

Still, I won't buy anything from nvidia, unless nvidia starts publishing documentation for their GPUs to make it possible to develop opensource drivers (by community, at least).

I have enjoyed a lot of trouble with closed source drivers (both nvidia and fglrx). So, I rather stick with Intel integrated graphics, which works fluently with opensource, than use anything, that requires closed source drivers to be able to work decently.

Open source is the only good
                  ​​​​ way, regarding HW drivers. They benefit from GPU production, not from drivers. Why they just don't opensource it?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    no, glvnd is not a contribution to open source, since no opensource driver needs it. it is only needed by nvidia proprietary shit
                    If you hadn't used the word 'shit', I would have upvoted you.
                    There is no need for profanity here. It only makes the community look juvenile.

It does however seem that most of nVidia's open source contributions are aimed at better integrating their closed-source driver with the open ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X