Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver-Free Printing Comes To Ubuntu 17.04, AirPrint Support

Phoronix: Driver-Free Printing Comes To Ubuntu 17.04, AirPrint Support

With the latest "Zesty" development packages for Ubuntu 17.04, there is initial support for driver-less network printer support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing I want is a CUPS based Airprint gateway. Oh yes, there are docs for CUPS (and I recommend you run the latest), and I have it running at my office, but it simply isn't reliable at all.

Comment

So what's the latest version I should upgrade to in Arch Linux? What about those who use Fedora 25?

(Did get a "server abort" message. Weird.)

Comment

There are a few printers out there where Linux drivers exist but are finicky and can be a real PITA to set up. For such printers, I've found it was much easier to set up a single PC as a printer server and then use something like Google Cloud Print to share the printer in a way that doesn't require remote PCs to install the drivers. To my understanding, this limits which applications you can print from, but it can make life easier. CUPS comes with a web-based UI, which you can always use if you need to tweak the printer for your settings without accessing the server. As long as your printer doesn't use closed-source drivers, you can usually get away with using some cheap ARM board (like a Raspberry Pi) to get this working.

Comment

So they've made a driver in CUPS that is called "driver-free/less". I don't see how they thought this name was a good idea...

Anyhow, the status of printers compatibility is quite crappy on Linux, I hadn't bought a printer for more than 10 years now. The two last times I tried to connect a Linux to a printer (2013 and 2016, with different printers and different distro), it was a huge failure. So anything that can improve this is welcome indeed!
          Last edited by Creak; 23 December 2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I have a driverless printer for more than 10 years ... it is a postscript printer! work perfectly always!!

cheap printers are always junk, you pay on support or in toners/ink and hardware is always failing
            a little more expensive printer will support more features and many times have a lot cheaper (or bigger capacity for the same price) consumers

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              So they've made a driver in CUPS that is called "driver-free/less". I don't see how they thought this name was a good idea...

Anyhow, the status of printers compatibility is quite crappy on Linux, I hadn't bought a printer for more than 10 years now. The two last times I tried to connect a Linux to a printer (2013 and 2016, with different printers and different distro), it was a huge failure. So anything that can improve this is welcome indeed!
              Sad to hear, for me it has been the complete opposite, I have connected with (mostly HP and Brother) printers for 15 years with more or less plug'n' play experience.

Comment

Same as F.Ultra, nearly every single printer I've been using has been flawless...
                ...because generally I tend to use networked postscript printers (mostly HP) :
                - It speaks a pretty standard language that is already supported by cups without needing 3rd party drivers.
                - It uses a connection that is already supported by cups (mostly IPP, some also support LPD) and doesn't require fiddling with non standard USB drivers (why use a class driver when you can go creative ?).

In fact, it came to me as a surprise that the latest multi-function my parents bought at their place (Canon i-Sensys MF8550Cdw) is NOT PostScript compliant.
                - It has some shitty partly closed source drivers provided by Canon (used to speak their proprietary UFR-II language) that might get working with some hacks
                - But the printers speaks perfectly well PCL, so the PCL driver (pxlcolor) of Cups works as well.
                But still, I was surprised.

Comment

Creak HP printers have always had flawless (windows-like) experience on Linux overall, they also provide an opensourced GUI printer management interface (hplip) which is useful if your printer isn't a multifunction so it does not offer the same info/controls on a local webpage (like routers). Their supported printer list on linux is huge, you can pretty much take a random HP printer and it will work fine.
                  Also scanners of multifunction printers work fine.

Other manufacturers of company-grade printers also have decent support (like Brother).

Most other manufacturers, especially in the consumer market... it's a crapshoot.

In general, when you buy hardware for linux ALWAYS check compatibility first.

Comment

3 months ago I tried with Fedora 24 and an hp laserjet p1006... didn't work. I didn't go any further since I expected this kind of result. Maybe there is a package I need to install, but at some point, I'd like this kind of devices to work as plug'n'play.
                    Last edited by Creak; 24 December 2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X