Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 5.6 Beta Rolls Out With Vulkan, Early "Unity 2017" Plans

Phoronix: Unity 5.6 Beta Rolls Out With Vulkan, Early "Unity 2017" Plans

Unity has announced their 5.6 beta with Vulkan support while they have published some early information about Unity 2017, their successor to Unity 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So there won't be bugfixes coming for Unity 5.6 anymore? I hope it won't happen but I expect some bugs to raise while Vulkan is only initially supported now. Mhh :/ Still I do appreciate Vulkan to be up and running now. Let's hope City: Skylines and Dwarves (Die Zwerge) will be updated soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      So there won't be bugfixes coming for Unity 5.6 anymore? I hope it won't happen but I expect some bugs to raise while Vulkan is only initially supported now. Mhh :/ Still I do appreciate Vulkan to be up and running now. Let's hope City: Skylines and Dwarves (Die Zwerge) will be updated soon.
      Sure there will. Customers pay for this. According to the blog post they provide "patches for an additional 12 months after release to ensure you can use it as a stable platform for shipping your projects."

If your named games will receive them, I doubt it because it's up to the game developer and I don't think they will rebase their released game to a new engine version...
      But who knows, there are games which already did but mostly these are early access.

Comment

Cities Skylines 1.6 (2016/11) has just upgraded to Unity 5.4 recently (cf. patch notes : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-1-6-0.985424/).
        We can hope that Colossal Order will continue rebasing their game in the future releases.

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
          Cities Skylines 1.6 (2016/11) has just upgraded to Unity 5.4 recently (cf. patch notes : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-1-6-0.985424/).
          We can hope that Colossal Order will continue rebasing their game in the future releases.
          Thanks for the note. I did not know that.

Comment

By the way, this update finally fixed Cities Skylines' fullscreen mode. We now have a real fullscreen mode, so that V-Sync and G-SYNC work. No more tearing \o/

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Thanks for the note. I did not know that.
              I've known that - therfor I do hope to see an upgrade. I think they do these upgrade since the performance of Unity got better with each release. Especially City Builders like Cities: Skylines suffer from a bad performanc ein late game since there's a lot going on.

EDIT: I sent an E-Mail out to ask them about it. Let's see what their answer will be.
              Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 13 December 2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Its a shame the UPDATE process from previous versions isn't MUCH easier step, would really like to see most Unity games take advantage of Vulkan but I know this isn't realistic as simply updating to a newer version of Unity can completely break your game in every aspect (I remember it happening to many devs, such as guys who did Wasteland2-DC update/upgrade)

Comment

If it's something like a "point and click adventure" or another game without any need for a better performance I don't mind. I agree in terms of programs that need to have a good performance. In the end one cause is that new features something kill old ones for the sake of code cleanup as well as performance optimization. Therefore you can't just press a button and everything will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X