Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 2.80 Brewmaster Lands The AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Phoronix: SteamOS 2.80 Brewmaster Lands The AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Out now is the SteamOS 2.80 Brewmaster Beta update for those using Valve's Linux distribution for gaming. SteamOS 2.80 most notably brings the AMDGPU-PRO driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How active is SteamOS development? Is there a concrete roadmap or similiar of what milestones they want to achieve by when?

Comment

Huh? Why does steamOS get an RC1 while the rest of linux gets a BETA of amdgpu-pro?
      And why do they support GCN1.1 on steamOS and GCN 1.2 on the rest of linux?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        If you are interested about linux gaming, original Debian testing Xfce is the best with a custom kernel.
        Can you please stop with this bullshit? Thanks
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you are interested about linux gaming, original Debian testing Xfce is the best
          Hey! What is your name? debianxfce of course!

If you are interested about linux gaming, original Pas testing Sso is the best

Comment

Come on... everyone knows tmpdir OS is the best os for gaming, just empty the tmp dir first and you are good.

p.s. thanks for letting me know this phoronix site (bug?)
            {"nodeId":874147}

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              Huh? Why does steamOS get an RC1 while the rest of linux gets a BETA of amdgpu-pro?
              Because they compiled their own kernel? Anyone can get GCN1.1+ on AMDGPU, if they really want it, it's a kernel option.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It is worth noting that SteamOS got a special 16.30 driver that is a newer branch than the recently released 2nd AMDGPU release (16.20).

You can try the driver on other distributions however:

Last edited by d2kx; 26 May 2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                  Come on... everyone knows tmpdir OS is the best os for gaming, just empty the tmp dir first and you are good.

p.s. thanks for letting me know this phoronix site (bug?)
                  {"nodeId":874147}
                  I did
                  Code:
                  rm /tmp/*
                  and received a lot of errors. And now I only have 48.6 fps instead of 48.7 fps

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    Because they work with hardware manufacturers directly, or at least they do so with NVIDIA, and AMD is doing its best to match this.

Why? Because it's a gaming distro backed by a major game vendor. They have all the reasons to be as good as possible as soon as possible. The driver will get extracted and ported to other distros within weeks probably, they don't count on being better than others for any timeframe.

Kernel setting bro. Might have more code than just flipping a config switch tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X