Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Engine Reset/Recovery Support Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Engine Reset/Recovery Support Coming To Linux

One of the new set of patches published this week for the Intel DRM kernel graphics driver is for engine reset and recovery support for Broadwell "Gen8" graphics hardware and newer under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I ditched my Broadwell long time ago because of the shitty driver support. I had the laptop for two months swearing my way through it.
    My current Skylake wasn't much better, so I went back to running the Nvidia card in the laptop with proprietary driver and since it wasn't screwed with optimus crap I could turn the intel GPU off completely.

Nvidia. By far the most solid GPU experience on the Linux desktop, proprietary or not.
    Could not care less about proprietary or not at this point. When the alternative is crashing desktop all day long, then the choice becomes pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      I ditched my Broadwell long time ago because of the shitty driver support. I had the laptop for two months swearing my way through it.
      My current Skylake wasn't much better, so I went back to running the Nvidia card in the laptop with proprietary driver and since it wasn't screwed with optimus crap I could turn the intel GPU off completely.

Nvidia. By far the most solid GPU experience on the Linux desktop, proprietary or not.
      Could not care less about proprietary or not at this point. When the alternative is crashing desktop all day long, then the choice becomes pretty easy.
      I'm on Broadwell atm and do not see what bug you experience in general (I work the whole week on it)... And when it comes to battery life, Optimus is much better choice.

Now to be honest I remember having a full week with many crash until an update fix it ( ~6 month ago) maybe you refer to this?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Broadwell Laptop, Skylake desktop here.. Nothing to complain about at all.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Yeah. Consider yourself lucky.
          It's not like the first time Intel drivers and gfx hardware has been put in the line of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I'm on Broadwell atm and do not see what bug you experience in general (I work the whole week on it)... And when it comes to battery life, Optimus is much better choice.

Now to be honest I remember having a full week with many crash until an update fix it ( ~6 month ago) maybe you refer to this?
            Sounds about right. I probably ditched it before it ended up getting somewhat usable. Then I bought a Skylake with next-gen issues. And ended up not waiting for the issues to get fixed there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I've had the extreme displeasure to use a long list of laptops with integrated Intel GPUs ( every workplace laps them up - because they're the cheapest available, or course ). For a company as large and profitable as Intel, their GPU drivers are an absolute disgrace. Suspend issues. Power management issues. GPU lockups. Rendering issues. You'd think things would get better, but no, things appears are shitty as they did 5 years back. If you have "nothing to complain about at all" then I wonder if you're even using the Intel drivers - maybe X is falling back to a generic framebuffer, and you don't use 3D?

Comment

Working...
              X