Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Involved In Linux Graphics Driver Development

Phoronix: Getting Involved In Linux Graphics Driver Development

If you are interested in getting involved in Linux graphics driver development outside of initiatives like Outreachy and GSoC, here are some resources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael
    ime
    wat?

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting involved in this as a learning experience, since I'm inexperienced. But exactly because I'm inexperienced I would like to be involved if I was experienced I'd probably be doing something else... Strange world, open source development that is, I wonder how many people think this way.

Comment

I might just do so when I have time to, maybe next year :-)
        In that, I more or less fall into the scheme described by rabcor

Comment

@siavashserver: 840$ for a small patch? You have some high expectations

Comment

it's very unlikely to get hired by Intel, AMD or other well known companies in the end.
            I guarantee being able to show commits in the relevant trees puts you ahead of other candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
              it's very unlikely to get hired by Intel, AMD or other well known companies in the end.
              Especially if you don't live in the United States. Any of those companies hiring people in Germany?

Comment

I don't find the experience gained from these much useful for the everyday programming life (well, the git parts were useful), and it's very unlikely to get hired by Intel, AMD or other well known companies in the end.
                I don't think so. Only the iterative way of thinking matters for most programming tasks. And I'm pretty sure it's easy to get hired if you've prooven that your skills are well. Don't expect it to happen within a month, especially if you're still in the learning how to programm stage...

If you're looking for a way to get hired for sure, start to write a gallium3d driver for any (unsupported) mobile GPU. Once this driver is in a good shape, you're likely able to choose your employer. But here, I'm talking about at least a year, if you're *very* familiar with programming and a bit with graphics and C...
                Last edited by degasus; 04 April 2016, 04:50 AM. Reason: Hit "Post Replay" too early...

Comment

I don't find the experience gained from these much useful for the everyday programming life (well, the git parts were useful), and it's very unlikely to get hired by Intel, AMD or other well known companies in the end.

Setting reasonable bounties like ~2 BTC per item will make them more interesting
                  I learned a lot contributing to Mesa and still have a lot more to learn. After a couple of years contributing and one night staying up extra late trying to work out a problem I woke up extra tried for work the next day and said to myself it was the last time, I was going to quit or at least cut back a lot. I checked my email on the way to work and saw an offer to do some contracting work for Intel. Its funny how things work out.

But yeah you can't expect to just contribute one or two patches and get hired.

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                  Especially if you don't live in the United States. Any of those companies hiring people in Germany?
                  I work for Collabora (on the Intel Mesa project) from Australia. They have people working for them in many different countries around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                    I work for Collabora (on the Intel Mesa project) from Australia. They have people working for them in many different countries around the world.
                    Sure, some companies let their employees work from home. I'd prefer to meet my co-workers in personal though. Also, I would like to keep work (=office) and private life (=home) separated from each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X