A New Governor Continues To Be Worked On For Linux Kernel's CPUFreq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Governor Continues To Be Worked On For Linux Kernel's CPUFreq

Phoronix: A New Governor Continues To Be Worked On For Linux Kernel's CPUFreq

The Linux kernel's ACPI and power management subsystem maintainer, Rafael Wysocki, today sent out the latest patches on a new governor for the CPUFreq CPU frequency scaling driver for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do people still have problems with the mouse pointer freezing during load?
    Or audio skipping?

Comment

Unfortunately I'm still unable to use my desktop while the system is disk busy BFQ helps to an extend but not much setting IONICE levels make no impact on the problem

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Do people still have problems with the mouse pointer freezing during load?
        Or audio skipping?
        I've not seen that in a while on either my performance Skylake system or my low powered Kabini - everything works fine with things like LLVM & Mesa compiling in the background

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          everything works fine with things like LLVM & Mesa compiling in the background
          SSD or spinning drives?

Comment

They're both running with SSDs

Comment

Originally posted by s.ivanov View Post
              Unfortunately I'm still unable to use my desktop while the system is disk busy BFQ helps to an extend but not much setting IONICE levels make no impact on the problem

The only way out for me when BFQ doesnt cut it is to rsync the data and use rsync's bwlimit parameter to "ease up" disk io a bit.

Comment

Since we're mixing cpu govs and io scheds anyway, yes it still sucks. High disk I/O is a pain. Sometimes, on my small CF card powered systems I can't even log in to another console when on one is a high disc / flash card activity. You can type in your name + return; but the next prompt for the password is delayed, or the login process itself if you typed the password.
                Though I rarely had problems in a GUI with the mouse, "just" CPU load (e.g. compiling on all cores) doesn't give me that much of a slowdown.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

First, this is something that has been a long time coming. I first heard about it in the context of big.LITTLE where it was made clear the disconnect between scheduler and governor led to very suboptimal results. Additionally, their separation made it very hard to create a sane implementation of CPU hotplug. So, hurray to Rafael!
                  Second, my understanding of Linux's WELL known issues with disk io and interactivity is that it is a multi headed beastie. One aspect is the elevator. Another is the CPU scheduler. A third is that Linux doesn't have a true async io implementation (and we probably won't have a one until nvm shows up, and even then they may go a different way). Forth, the dirty ratio should probably be dynamic. Fifth, we don't have a process swapping method, only a paging one.
                  This is why no (Linux)desktop is immune to this issue in all circumstances.

Comment

Turn off NCQ. And if you're already using BFQ, run Liquorix.

Comment

Working...
                    X