Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD Intel Graphics Driver Gets BXT Support, Aims For A Blob-Free Skylake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Intel Graphics Driver Gets BXT Support, Aims For A Blob-Free Skylake

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Intel Graphics Driver Gets BXT Support, Aims For A Blob-Free Skylake

Thanks to the fabulous open-source graphics driver porting work done by François Tigeot, the DragonFlyBSD kernel's i915 Intel DRM graphics driver is up to a comparable state to the code ported from the Linux 4.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DragonFly's "solution" is to just turn off powersaving modes... not all that helpful in the real-world, especially on a mobile system. Maybe Dragonfly doesn't care all that much about mobile.

By those standards, I already have a blob-free Nvidia and AMD graphics solution: Just don't use any features of those graphics cards that require blobs! I'm sure you can get a VGA console running with your $650 GPU just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      DragonFly's "solution" is to just turn off powersaving modes... not all that helpful in the real-world, especially on a mobile system. Maybe Dragonfly doesn't care all that much about mobile.

By those standards, I already have a blob-free Nvidia and AMD graphics solution: Just don't use any features of those graphics cards that require blobs! I'm sure you can get a VGA console running with your $650 GPU just fine!
      Well, the Linux-libre solution right now is just not to provide any support... So what's better, partially working support or none at all?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Intel Graphics Driver Gets BXT Support, Aims For A Blob-Free Skylake
        Tigeot explained, "starting from Linux 4.2, a separate firmware blob is required to save and restore the state of display engines in some low-power modes. These low-power modes have been forcibly disabled in the DragonFly version of this driver in order to keep it blob-free."

It would be funny to see if GNU Linux-libre ends up trying to port the DragonFlyBSD i915 blob-free changes to their kernel.
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lyBSD-i915-4.2
        Huh? Seeing as that's exactly how i915 works *today* when the firmware is not present, there's no need to port anything back.

Comment

Please stop with this closed firmware nonsense. I'm tired of blobs.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
          X